One reason to wish the Yankees were still in the playoffs

Oct 14, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT

Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks

Like a lot of red-blooded Americans, I’m happy the Yankees got beat in the first round. Viva variety and all of that. Let Fox and TBS fixate on some other teams for a change.

But a side effect of that is that a bunch of New York reporters now have nothing to do except to come up with silly trade and free agent ideas, and I’m just not ready for that kind of thing until at least mid-November.

The latest: John Harper of the Daily News playing the “it would never happen but what if the Yankees signed Prince Fielder” game:

Or would the Yankees be better off paying huge money for Fielder, whose lefthanded swing just might produce 50 home runs a year with the help of Yankee Stadium, and using Jesus Montero to trade for pitching? I know, I know, I advocated for keeping Montero in my look-ahead column a few days ago, and I do think the Yankees should find out what he can do for them. But the point is, you can’t rule out the possibility that Fielder could wind up a Yankee, slotting in between Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez as a full-time DH.

I suppose anyone could end up a Yankee.  I just don’t see Bud Selig hammering through a rule change that would allow that team to have multiple first basemen and designated hitters play every game for the next six or seven years.

Oh well. Hot stove season is coming. It’s never too early to start girding yourself against the loony stuff we’re going to encounter over the winter.

1. bigxrob - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM

At least he admitted he’s contridicting something he wrote a few days ago re: Montero.
    That’s progress, right?

2. MrWorkrate - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Obviously, Teixeira to third base.

• bigharold - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Sign Pujols and let Teixeira, Pujols and A-rod rotate between 1B, 3B and DH. Problem solved.
      And, he’ll look good in pinstripes too.

3. lazlosother - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Because the way to fix the pitching is to sign Fielder, to DH. Why pay league minimum for a young DH who projects well when you can pay over 20 mil. for a guy that doesn’t want to DH? How could they lose?

4. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Sure, what’s a $300M payroll. The Yanks can afford it!
    /sarcasm

Thank god for websites like itsaboutthemoney.net, riveraveblues.com, yankeeanalysts.com, etc. That way I never have to read the MSM about my favorite team.

Writers at the NYP, NYDN and others won’t be happy until this onion article comes true:

• Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Dude, thanks for the nice words!

5. yankeesfanlen - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Pujols, too!

• Alex K - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Why not? In for a penny in for a pound.

6. Detroit Michael - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM

It works out so well to simultaneously convert a poor-fielding slugger from the NL to the AL and to the DH position. What could go wrong?

Please hold because Kenny Williams is calling me on line two.

7. aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The Yankees should sign Fielder AND Pujols, and platoon all three at DH along with A-Rod.

I mean, as long as we’re all throwing ludicrous suggestions out there…

It’s amazing that some of these guys make very good livings to write nonsensical “what-if” scenarios.

8. rexadelphia8 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM

How about Ryan Howard and placid polanco for fielder and screw the Yankees again

9. cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Yankee desperation; gotta love it. So, in the off season, like an inexperienced groom on his wedding night, they’d have flailed around in fits of energy, money, think & double think, desperately throwing everything they have at the problem, never once realizing that the solution is patience, judicious use of resources, effort in the right places at the right time. Just like always, they’ll expend themselves to get the biggest bang for their buck (or whatever letter you’d like to start “-uck” with).

Well, I shan’t be too critical. It might work. Has worked in the past. Some brides like the excesses. Appreciate the effort, if not the over all result, as it were. The team needs to make some minor tweaks; a DH that isn’t about to start drawing a pension. A short stop that has some range. A legit right handed bat that can play 3rd without breaking down every 5 minutes and can eat his own damn corn without help from his grammy. Maybe a pitcher or 2. Well within their grasp, relatively cheaper than Fielder or Pujols and a better long term solution. They’ll probably reel in one of those guys come spring, though. I wish I could extend the wedding night analogy with something pithy here but I’m out of pith and the thesis awaits…

• kappy32 - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Who writes like that? Are you auditioning for a writing job? Do you think they’ll see your comment & come email a job offer? Shan’t? I haven’t heard that since my 70 year old 2nd grade teacher used it all the time, twenty year ago. Do me a favor, please? Remove stick from ass & become a human being.

• cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Me. I write like that. Always have. So I shan’t bother to oblige you with changing, now shall I? You’ll notice that I forbore (there’s another big word for you doofus) from critiquing your semi-literate effort. I suppose the national dunce association will be emailing you with a job offer. I hear they need an opinionated jackass to get their message out; conform to stupidity and rudeness and make ad hominem attacks on the interwebs. I’m sure you feel all good about yourself now with your stunning witticisms and oh so contemporary use of the stupid.

Three legends off to Cooperstown