Red Sox owner John Henry: “I personally opposed” signing Carl Crawford

Oct 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EST

Liverpool Football club's co-owner, John Getty Images

During a radio appearance on 98.5 “The Sports Hub” in Boston this afternoon Red Sox owner John Henry explained that he “personally opposed” the team’s decision to sign free agent Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million contract last offseason.

Henry said that he ultimately deferred to general manager Theo Epstein and the front office decision-makers, adding:

We had plenty of left-handed hitting. I don’t have to go into why. I’ll just tell you that at the time I opposed the deal, but I don’t meddle to the point of making decisions for our baseball team.

Which is how an owner should be, although going on the radio to say you opposed a $142 million decision by the GM who just happens to be on his way out of town seems a little shady considering how various unsavory details about Terry Francona’s tenure magically appeared as soon as he was no longer the manager.

On the other hand, at the time of the Crawford signing Epstein did say that he had to talk ownership into the move and Henry also said during the same interview today that “I would have loved for Theo to be our GM for the next 20 years … I did everything I could personally to make that happen.”

And then when it didn’t happen, he went on radio to distance himself and the team from one of Epstein’s biggest moves, which seems to be the Red Sox’s modus operandi when it comes to longtime employees leaving the organization. Oh, and surely Crawford will love hearing about how the owner of the team he’s signed with through 2017 didn’t want him in the first place.

1. pisano - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM

John Henry, you’re the idiot that gave Boy Blunder (Theo) the money, don’t blame anyone but yourself for not doing your home work on Crawford. Crawford never could hit left handed pitching well, so you give him 20 mil.+ for seven years. Now that you’ve thrown him under the bus and run him over I bet he’ll really come through for you in the next six years. Good Luck.

2. frankiefiveangels - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Even though I disagree with Tony Mazz that Henry is naive and not somewhat responsible for the knife in Francona’s back I think Henry has some deniability here. However, the real turd in the punchbowl is Lucchino. I think he is as phony as it gets and is the real architect of all the smear campaigns. For those of you familiar with The Godfather, Lucchino is Barzini and Henry/Werner are Tattaglia.

• mabunar - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM

It’s pretty damning when Henry says…Larry runs the Red Sox.

I want Cherington to be able to do what he can do…just hope Larry doesn’t get in the way.

3. urteamsux52 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Henry typical boston person point finger at someone else he wanted crawford you all are losers who root for redsox bad baseball ugly women perfect fit for you f#%kers

• aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Wow, what a terrific comment. Thanks for adding some intelligence to the discussion.

What a goddamned near-illiterate moron you are.

• pisano - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

aceshigh11…. Please don’t sell this person short, not a near illiterate moron, but a total illiterate moron and I’m sure in the future we’ll all find out how much of a moron IT really is.

• pisano - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM

aceshigh11…. Please don’t sell this person short, not a near illiterate moron, but a total illiterate moron, and I’m sure in the future we’ll all find out how much of a moron IT really is.

4. kappy32 - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Don’t like it one bit. Crawford is a moody player & with the time & money remaining, he’s not going anywhere. It’s one thing to call out a player for sub-par play, ala Fred Wilpon, but to simply say that you never wanted him is a whole different game. The smart thing to do would have been to follow that up with a comment along the lines of, “however, he has been a positive addition to our team & given the chance to do it over, I would support signing Carl Crawford,” etc., etc., etc.

• pisano - Oct 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Sorry, double clicked.

5. braddavery - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

That’s a great thing to say about a guy who will be on your team for the next 6 seasons making 20 million+ per season. But yeah, I’m sure Crawford will never hear about it to let it affect him. lol This team is a mess right now.

6. zurnvs - Oct 15, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Boston is a mess, why would an owner come out a state that they had nothing to with the stuff said about Terry and then smash a guy he just gave 142 million. He is a liar.

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Nobody remembers that Henry killed whatever interest there was for Marlins baseball when he was here. Never spent a dime. Got the gift of being handed the Red Sox in what had to be a shady deal. And now the true colors are showing.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM

i bet crawford will feel the love after reading that, lol

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5123)
  2. M. Kemp (3555)
  3. J. Upton (2831)
  4. J. Kang (2816)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2720)
  1. C. McGehee (2717)