The 24 most bizarre injuries in baseball history

Oct 14, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

File photo of Seattle Mariners' Griffey Jr. following through a three-run home run against the Yankees in Seattle

Just a link from the people at Mental Floss as we prepare ourselves for the Cardinals-Brewers game tonight.  They do God’s work.

I had forgotten all about the “Ken Griffey Jr. pinched his testicle” thing.  That proves that my mind is doing its best to protect me from awful, awful thoughts.

1. Kyle - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Adrian Beltre also had a horrific testicle injury while playing for the Mariners. Free agents beware!

2. Ben - Oct 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I can’t believe they’d leave out Joel Zumaya’s Guitar Hero incident.

3. meteor32 - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I’d have thought Sammy Sosa throwing out his back sneezing would have made the cut.

4. Clinton Manitoba - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I don’t remember if it caused him to miss a start, but John Smoltz burned himself trying to iron his shirt.. while wearing it..

• Bryz - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Lew Ford supposedly did as well. Same stupidity, lesser profile.

5. cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 6:42 PM

How, HOW in tarnation do you dislocate a thumb while putting on socks? What in the blazes where Randy Johnson’s socks made of? Chain mail?
    At any rate, just a great link. I laughed and laughed at the misfortune of others. Why? Because it didn’t happened to me, that’s why.

6. badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 14, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Let’s not forget Jeremy Affeldt’s losing battle with frozen hamburger patties.
    Seriously? Frozen hamburger patties?

7. thefalcon123 - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Guh? How on earth did they leave out Vince Coleman and the killer tarp?
    For those of you who don’t know, Cardinals rookie speedster Vince Coleman stole a whopping 110 bases in 1985 (and did so with just a .320 OBP). On the eve of the World Series, he was run over by Busch Stadium’s automatic tarp…which traveled at roughly 1 mile per hour. He tore some ligaments and missed the series.

8. cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Comments went where?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4001)