The NLCS is the beer series

Oct 14, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT

generic beer

There’s a fun article over at the New York Times today, reminding us that when St. Louis meets Milwaukee it’s not just the Cards and Brewers facing off, but Budweiser and Miller beer facing off as well.

No, not directly, as Anheuser-Busch no longer has an ownership stake in the Cards and Miller’s connection to the Brewers goes no further than the ballpark’s naming rights.  And of course, given that both of those brewers are no longer truly creatures of their native homes — AB is owned by a Belgian company and Miller a British one — the city vs. city aspects of  all of this is more of a historical artifact than a living rivalry. But the historic aspects of it all are still kind of interesting.

Also interesting: this factoid, which is rather — wait, I almost said “sobering.”  The opposite of that:

And the beer-drinking intensifies in October. Fans consume 19.8 ounces of beer per person during the postseason at Busch Stadium, 75 percent more than during a regular-season game, according to Delaware North. Fans in Milwaukee have been drinking 20 percent more in this postseason than in the regular season, Delaware North said.

Just as long as none of that is in the clubhouse.

1. yankeesfanlen - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Guess the Brewers fan have always exceeded capacity and thus can only add 20% more. For further information and a tour, call (414) 931-BEER.

2. RedHeadedBastard - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Mmmm beer!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Hey, that’s my line damnits!!! J/K

I’m on what is known as my annual Octoberfest tasting ritual where I try every Octoberfest beer I can find.

I’m through Samuel Adams, Becks, Warstiener (I like to start of with the known, Warstiener is the best of the three imo)

Next stop
      Hacker-Pshorr, then Brooklyn beer company Octoberfest, followed by Flying Dog, and Ayinger.

That should get me through October with a smile……. ;)

• The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Don’t miss Stoudt’s. They put out a great product, and they’re right in Adamstown, so as a Philly-area man, you should be able to find them without any trouble.

• tmohr - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I’d also recommend Bells and Two Brothers (if you can get them wherever you are).

• Jonny 5 - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I don’t think Stoudts has an Octoberfest beer though…. Winterfest beer is right around the corner though.

Thanks for the rec- tmohr.

• El Bravo - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

add Magic Hat to the list as well…I had a Warstiener Oktoberfest last night. Very good indeed.

• kopy - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

And Leinenkugel’s. I don’t know how much time you have, though. Like everything else, it’s being introduced and taken away earlier. The Winter ales will probably replace them before Halloween.

• Kyle - Oct 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Hacker-Pshorr, great choice, sir! One of my all-time favorite beer makers.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Dogtoberfest is delicious.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Not sure if it’s availible where you are, but try Boulevard’s Bob’s 47 if you’re touring October with Beer

3. mvpolamalu - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Haha love all the red sox jokes! There about as easy to make fun of as the 0-16 lions

4. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

My guess: Beer drinking appears to increase in the postseason because fewer people are willing to pay postseason ticket prices to bring a young child to the game. I’m assuming they’ve already controlled for the higher attendance when they quote the 20% higher number, but probably not the child/adult ratio.

I may have just sucked the fun out of the room, though. Sorry.

• okobojicat - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Strangely, they mention all those points in the article.

5. largebill - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Craig,

Sorry to tell ya, but there is going to be a lot of these nonsensical speculation stories this off season. Most of these stories are initiated by agents to get more interest in their player or to send the message to negotiating teams that one of the big spenders are thinking about player X. The two biggest free agents this off season are first basemen. Problem is whether they or their agents likes it, New York and Boston both have quality first basemen and are not going to get in on the bidding. Doesn’t matter how great Pujols & Fielder are, unless the bidding heats up they won’t get as much as they’d like

• Max Power - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM

But can’t we agree that Miller’s best free agent signing was Leinenkugel’s?

6. philliesblow - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Bring back the Expos so we can have a Molson (Montreal) vs Labatt (London, Ontario but close enough to Toronto) World Series.

7. Joe - Oct 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Don’t forget Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous!

That tag line was a lot cooler when I wasn’t aware that the reason my dad drank Schlitz was because he was too cheap to buy a decent brand. Not that there was decent beer for sale back in the early 70’s.

• firedude7160 - Oct 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

How could anyone forget Schlitz

[audio src="http://www.schlitzgusto.com/media/mp3/SchlitzJingle_ringtone.mp3" /]

8. Brian Donohue - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Damn, what a nasty question to ask readers, explicitly or not: which pisswater kingdom accounting for a significant piece of the American obesity epidemic do you root for? Could be worse, though: imagine a Halliburton-Blackwater matchup or Goldman Sachs v. AIG…

9. marshmallowsnake - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Budweiser and Miller listed as Beer…now that is funny!

10. siftin thru nonsense - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Suds Series sounds better.

11. cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM

As a kid I used to see those beers in commercials. I always thought they were made up things like “Hoboken”, “Jersey” & “Albuquerque” which were places Bugs Bunny, that great childhood sage, was trying to get to or talked about (like Oz, not really real). I always liked the horse and wagon beer the best. Now I’m all growed up and I know, that of all those things, 3 of them ARE real and the other 2….lets just say the other 2 fell well short of expectations as laid out by those commercials…

12. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I can’t find the picture on Google Images. But one of my Cardinal freinds posted a pic of a fan sign at Busch Stadium that read: “Don’t let rain get in your beer or it will taste like that stuff from Milwaukee”

Love it.

13. firedude7160 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM

14. cur68 - Oct 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM

!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3265)