Oct 14, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
There’s a fun article over at the New York Times today, reminding us that when St. Louis meets Milwaukee it’s not just the Cards and Brewers facing off, but Budweiser and Miller beer facing off as well.
No, not directly, as Anheuser-Busch no longer has an ownership stake in the Cards and Miller’s connection to the Brewers goes no further than the ballpark’s naming rights. And of course, given that both of those brewers are no longer truly creatures of their native homes — AB is owned by a Belgian company and Miller a British one — the city vs. city aspects of all of this is more of a historical artifact than a living rivalry. But the historic aspects of it all are still kind of interesting.
Also interesting: this factoid, which is rather — wait, I almost said “sobering.” The opposite of that:
And the beer-drinking intensifies in October. Fans consume 19.8 ounces of beer per person during the postseason at Busch Stadium, 75 percent more than during a regular-season game, according to Delaware North. Fans in Milwaukee have been drinking 20 percent more in this postseason than in the regular season, Delaware North said.
Just as long as none of that is in the clubhouse.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)