Oct 14, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
There’s a fun article over at the New York Times today, reminding us that when St. Louis meets Milwaukee it’s not just the Cards and Brewers facing off, but Budweiser and Miller beer facing off as well.
No, not directly, as Anheuser-Busch no longer has an ownership stake in the Cards and Miller’s connection to the Brewers goes no further than the ballpark’s naming rights. And of course, given that both of those brewers are no longer truly creatures of their native homes — AB is owned by a Belgian company and Miller a British one — the city vs. city aspects of all of this is more of a historical artifact than a living rivalry. But the historic aspects of it all are still kind of interesting.
Also interesting: this factoid, which is rather — wait, I almost said “sobering.” The opposite of that:
And the beer-drinking intensifies in October. Fans consume 19.8 ounces of beer per person during the postseason at Busch Stadium, 75 percent more than during a regular-season game, according to Delaware North. Fans in Milwaukee have been drinking 20 percent more in this postseason than in the regular season, Delaware North said.
Just as long as none of that is in the clubhouse.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)