Oct 15, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics were denied permission to interview Reds pitching coach Bryan Price.
The Athletics are currently seeking a replacement for Ron Romanick, who was fired following his first season on the job. Bob Melvin, who took over for Bob Geren in June and just inked a three-extension to remain A’s manager, is expected to have more input on the hiring of the next pitching coach.
The interest in Price makes perfect sense, as Melvin knows him well from their time together with the Mariners and the Diamondbacks. However, because Price still has one year left on his multi-year contract with the Reds, the Athletics will have to look in another direction.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)