Oct 15, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics were denied permission to interview Reds pitching coach Bryan Price.
The Athletics are currently seeking a replacement for Ron Romanick, who was fired following his first season on the job. Bob Melvin, who took over for Bob Geren in June and just inked a three-extension to remain A’s manager, is expected to have more input on the hiring of the next pitching coach.
The interest in Price makes perfect sense, as Melvin knows him well from their time together with the Mariners and the Diamondbacks. However, because Price still has one year left on his multi-year contract with the Reds, the Athletics will have to look in another direction.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)