Oct 15, 2011, 2:22 PM EST
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics were denied permission to interview Reds pitching coach Bryan Price.
The Athletics are currently seeking a replacement for Ron Romanick, who was fired following his first season on the job. Bob Melvin, who took over for Bob Geren in June and just inked a three-extension to remain A’s manager, is expected to have more input on the hiring of the next pitching coach.
The interest in Price makes perfect sense, as Melvin knows him well from their time together with the Mariners and the Diamondbacks. However, because Price still has one year left on his multi-year contract with the Reds, the Athletics will have to look in another direction.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)