Oct 15, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Negotiations between the Cubs and Red Sox regarding compensation for Theo Epstein are getting pretty complicated, but it’s possible they could clash again later this offseason.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com paints a scenario where the clubs could compete for managerial candidates, naming Hall of Famer and Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg in particular.
Epstein attempted to hire Sandberg to manage Boston’s Triple-A affiliate in Pawtucket before he joined the Phillies’ organization last year and now that Jim Hendry is no longer with the Cubs’ organization, he would be a natural and popular choice to replace Mike Quade as skipper. It sounds far-fetched that he would choose the Red Sox over the Cubs if given the opportunity, but Rosenthal notes that Boston is likely to have interest, as new GM Ben Cherington was also involved in the pursuit of Sandberg last year.
This could all be rendered moot if Epstein or Cherington decides to go with a candidate with previous managerial experience in the major leagues, but it’s a fun scenario to think about on a quiet Saturday afternoon.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (98)