Oct 15, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Negotiations between the Cubs and Red Sox regarding compensation for Theo Epstein are getting pretty complicated, but it’s possible they could clash again later this offseason.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com paints a scenario where the clubs could compete for managerial candidates, naming Hall of Famer and Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg in particular.
Epstein attempted to hire Sandberg to manage Boston’s Triple-A affiliate in Pawtucket before he joined the Phillies’ organization last year and now that Jim Hendry is no longer with the Cubs’ organization, he would be a natural and popular choice to replace Mike Quade as skipper. It sounds far-fetched that he would choose the Red Sox over the Cubs if given the opportunity, but Rosenthal notes that Boston is likely to have interest, as new GM Ben Cherington was also involved in the pursuit of Sandberg last year.
This could all be rendered moot if Epstein or Cherington decides to go with a candidate with previous managerial experience in the major leagues, but it’s a fun scenario to think about on a quiet Saturday afternoon.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 0
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 53
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games