Oct 15, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
CC Sabathia still has around three weeks to decide whether to opt out of his contract with the Yankees, but from what his agent Brian Peters told Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Insider only) this morning, it sure sounds like he has already made up his mind.
“CC has been clear about how he feels about New York and the Yankees,” Peters said on Saturday morning, “and we will exhaust all of our efforts to reach a new agreement (with the Yankees).”
Asked if the negotiations had started, Peters said, “As of today, I’ve got nothing new to report.”
Sabathia, who signed a seven-year, $161 million contract with the Yankees in December of 2008, is currently owed $23 million over each of the next four years. However, with C.J. Wilson as the best starting pitcher on the market this winter, Sabathia could benefit greatly by opting out and negotiating a new deal.
The Yankees will do everything in their power to keep the big southpaw, but Olney suspects that they could face some competition from the Rangers, Cubs and Angels. Even if Sabathia’s intention is to stay with the Yankees, as most believe it is, it’s simply the right business move to opt out and test the market.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)