Oct 15, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
CC Sabathia still has around three weeks to decide whether to opt out of his contract with the Yankees, but from what his agent Brian Peters told Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Insider only) this morning, it sure sounds like he has already made up his mind.
“CC has been clear about how he feels about New York and the Yankees,” Peters said on Saturday morning, “and we will exhaust all of our efforts to reach a new agreement (with the Yankees).”
Asked if the negotiations had started, Peters said, “As of today, I’ve got nothing new to report.”
Sabathia, who signed a seven-year, $161 million contract with the Yankees in December of 2008, is currently owed $23 million over each of the next four years. However, with C.J. Wilson as the best starting pitcher on the market this winter, Sabathia could benefit greatly by opting out and negotiating a new deal.
The Yankees will do everything in their power to keep the big southpaw, but Olney suspects that they could face some competition from the Rangers, Cubs and Angels. Even if Sabathia’s intention is to stay with the Yankees, as most believe it is, it’s simply the right business move to opt out and test the market.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)