Oct 15, 2011, 11:23 AM EST
Jerry Dipoto was passed over for the Diamondbacks general manager job last year in favor of Kevin Towers, but he’s still a hot property around MLB.
Jack McGruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that the Angels and Orioles have received permission from the Diamondbacks to speak with Dipoto about their vacant general manager positions. Dipoto, who made a splash as interim general manager after Josh Byrnes was fired in 2010, served as the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported last night that Dipoto is viewed as the current favorite for the Orioles’ job, citing his past experience with Buck Showalter. Two Yankees executives, Damon Oppenheimer and Billy Eppler, are also expected to interview for the Angels’ GM position.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)