Oct 15, 2011, 11:23 AM EDT
Jerry Dipoto was passed over for the Diamondbacks general manager job last year in favor of Kevin Towers, but he’s still a hot property around MLB.
Jack McGruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that the Angels and Orioles have received permission from the Diamondbacks to speak with Dipoto about their vacant general manager positions. Dipoto, who made a splash as interim general manager after Josh Byrnes was fired in 2010, served as the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported last night that Dipoto is viewed as the current favorite for the Orioles’ job, citing his past experience with Buck Showalter. Two Yankees executives, Damon Oppenheimer and Billy Eppler, are also expected to interview for the Angels’ GM position.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)