Oct 15, 2011, 11:23 AM EDT
Jerry Dipoto was passed over for the Diamondbacks general manager job last year in favor of Kevin Towers, but he’s still a hot property around MLB.
Jack McGruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that the Angels and Orioles have received permission from the Diamondbacks to speak with Dipoto about their vacant general manager positions. Dipoto, who made a splash as interim general manager after Josh Byrnes was fired in 2010, served as the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported last night that Dipoto is viewed as the current favorite for the Orioles’ job, citing his past experience with Buck Showalter. Two Yankees executives, Damon Oppenheimer and Billy Eppler, are also expected to interview for the Angels’ GM position.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)