Oct 15, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
If the Tigers win the next two games in Texas and reach the World Series, they will have done it without Justin Verlander.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, Tigers manager Jim Leyland just confirmed that Verlander will not pitch again during the ALCS. Some speculated that he could be available for a relief appearance in a potential Game 7 tomorrow night, but Leyland is committed to resting him after he threw a career-high 133 pitches in a Game 5 victory on Thursday.
“If you see Verlander pitch again this season, it’ll be a good thing, because it’ll be in the World Series.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (100)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)