Rangers keep raking, maintain large ALCS Game 6 lead

Oct 15, 2011, 10:53 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Texas Rangers - Game Six Getty Images

We’ve got a blowout going on in Texas.

After a nine-run third inning, the Rangers have tacked on three more scores and hold a commanding 12-4 lead in Game 6 of the ALCS against the Tigers. It’s the top of the seventh inning in Arlington.

Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton plated the Rangers’ 10th run with a sacrifice fly in the fifth inning, then RBI singles from Craig Gentry and Ian Kinsler lifted the lead to eight in the bottom of the sixth.

The Rangers have turned to their bullpen after a shaky but successful start from left-hander Derek Holland. Alexi Ogando threw a scoreless sixth inning and will head back to the mound to open the seventh.

Texas is looking to advance to the World Series for the second time in two years. Rangers Ballpark is rocking.

1. 1bigtex - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Surprise, surprise. Nelson Cruz hits yet another home run.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM

What in the hell happened? I went out for dinner and a movie and come home to this ass kicking. Shit man, I was really hoping to see an intense 8th and 9th innings and come home to this crap.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I was listening in the car in the 2nd inning and Detroit was up 2-0, broadcasters talking about how the Texas crowd had been silenced. Imagine my surprise tuning in later…

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Playing “We Are the Champions” before you’ve won the WS doesn’t make much sense

• bravesman1983 - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Are they not American League champions? I mean, it’s up to you whether or not to be impressed, but it’s absolutely justifiable.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM

You generally hear that song after a team wins a championship, not their division or a pennant or anything else. No hockey team plays it after winning their conference. It just doesn’t make sense to play that until you’ve won it all. Just my opinion

• cur68 - Oct 16, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Ahh, unwritten rule, on the celebration song, eh? I’m sympathetic 1943′. I think that particular song is for the winning team of the WS. All other, lesser victories in the steps to get there should have to play “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” as a farewell to the losing team. I love a good taunt.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4960)