Oct 15, 2011, 6:54 PM EDT
If the Cardinals are able to win either Game 6 or Game 7 in Milwaukee and advance to the World Series, they’ll have a nice treat waiting for them on the other end. And not just champagne, or Bud Light, or a larger share of playoff revenue.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, utilityman Skip Schumaker took part in a full workout Saturday at Miller Park and told the media “I’ll be ready” when asked afterward about his availability for the postseason’s final round.
Schumaker went 6-for-10 with two doubles and three RBI in the Cardinals’ impressive NLDS defeat of the Phillies. While not an elite defender, he’s capable of playing all outfield spots and second base. Nick Punto and Ryan Theriot have been handling starting duties at the keystone in Schumaker’s absence.
The Cards hold a 3-2 lead over the Brewers in the seven-game National League Championship Series.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)