Oct 15, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
And you thought this would be easy, huh?
David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that talks between the Red Sox and Cubs regarding compensation for Theo Epstein have turned “increasingly contentious” as the two sides remain “far apart” on an agreement.
In fact, one baseball executive with knowledge of the parties involved says that Red Sox president Larry Luchino is “trying to make it very difficult” for Epstein to formally take the job with Chicago.
“Larry Lucchino is one of the most unreasonable people I have ever dealt with and because of his frayed relationship with Theo Epstein he is looking to make a point at the expense of Theo’s happiness and his desire to go to Chicago. I didn’t believe that ownership group for one second when they said that they wouldn’t stand in Theo’s way if he wanted out of Boston. They are furious that he wants out and they are trying to make a point. Theo helped bring them two World Series titles and they have no loyalty to him and his happiness. They messed with Terry Francona and that was just an incredibly pathetic move and now they are trying to make life very tough for Theo,” he said.
While the Red Sox are reportedly playing hardball and demanding top prospects, this negotiation is a bit more complicated than originally thought, as Epstein would like to bring some of his trusted assistants along with him to Chicago. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe speculates that Red Sox head trainer Mike Reinold and VP of baseball operations Brian O’Hallaran could be involved.
There’s no set deadline on talks, but if the two sides don’t reach an agreement before the World Series begins next Wednesday, they will have to wait to make it official.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)