Oct 16, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com heard from sources Saturday that talks between the Cubs and Red Sox involving compensation for GM Theo Epstein had grown “increasingly contentious.”
Less than 24 hours later, things would seem to be moving in the right direction again.
An executive involved in the ongoing negotiations told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that recent discussions have been “business-like” and “civil,” and that the swap is slowly but surely moving forward.
Epstein has already agreed to a five-year, $20 million deal that will make him the new general manager of the Cubs, and Red Sox owner John Henry confirmed news of Theo’s departure during a radio interview Friday. But because the 37-year-old executive still had a year remaining on his contract with Boston, the Cubs have to send some form of compensation — likely a couple of lower-level prospects — to the Sawx in return.
Major League Baseball is surely pushing for the two sides to reach a resolution before the start of the World Series on Wednesday. Bud Selig and Co. tend to discourage major announcements during the Fall Classic.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)