Oct 16, 2011, 1:51 PM EST
Aaron Hill registered a cool .315/.386/.492 batting line with two home runs, 16 RBI and five stolen bases in 142 plate appearances after joining the Diamondbacks via trade in late August. He also posted a solid .879 OPS in the NLDS. But the Arizona front office is well aware that great results over a small sample size don’t mean much.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the D’Backs have not made a decision about Hill’s $8 million club option for 2012. And they have no immediate plans to discuss a multi-year pact.
Here’s general manager Kevin Towers:
“I don’t really want to get into where we’re at, but I don’t want to get too crazy about six weeks (of production). There’s a reason they moved him and a reason we moved Kelly (Johnson). … We’ll probably talk again next week. I’ll probably lob a call to him.”
Hill showed flashes of superb offensive production while in Toronto, slugging 36 homers in 2009 and 26 homers in 2010, but he’s never had high on-base numbers and his defense at second base is merely average.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)