Oct 16, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Aaron Hill registered a cool .315/.386/.492 batting line with two home runs, 16 RBI and five stolen bases in 142 plate appearances after joining the Diamondbacks via trade in late August. He also posted a solid .879 OPS in the NLDS. But the Arizona front office is well aware that great results over a small sample size don’t mean much.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the D’Backs have not made a decision about Hill’s $8 million club option for 2012. And they have no immediate plans to discuss a multi-year pact.
Here’s general manager Kevin Towers:
“I don’t really want to get into where we’re at, but I don’t want to get too crazy about six weeks (of production). There’s a reason they moved him and a reason we moved Kelly (Johnson). … We’ll probably talk again next week. I’ll probably lob a call to him.”
Hill showed flashes of superb offensive production while in Toronto, slugging 36 homers in 2009 and 26 homers in 2010, but he’s never had high on-base numbers and his defense at second base is merely average.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (88)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery