Oct 16, 2011, 1:51 PM EST
Aaron Hill registered a cool .315/.386/.492 batting line with two home runs, 16 RBI and five stolen bases in 142 plate appearances after joining the Diamondbacks via trade in late August. He also posted a solid .879 OPS in the NLDS. But the Arizona front office is well aware that great results over a small sample size don’t mean much.
According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the D’Backs have not made a decision about Hill’s $8 million club option for 2012. And they have no immediate plans to discuss a multi-year pact.
Here’s general manager Kevin Towers:
“I don’t really want to get into where we’re at, but I don’t want to get too crazy about six weeks (of production). There’s a reason they moved him and a reason we moved Kelly (Johnson). … We’ll probably talk again next week. I’ll probably lob a call to him.”
Hill showed flashes of superb offensive production while in Toronto, slugging 36 homers in 2009 and 26 homers in 2010, but he’s never had high on-base numbers and his defense at second base is merely average.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)