Oct 16, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT
Brewers right-hander Shaun Marcum is well aware of what’s at stake in Sunday night’s NLCS Game 6 against the Cardinals. He never made it to the postseason during his five years with the Blue Jays and has struggled mightily in his first two October outings for Milwaukee. The guy needs to rebound.
“It’s exciting,” Marcum told ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson after a light team workout on Saturday afternoon. “It’s definitely the biggest game of my career.”
Marcum allowed seven earned runs in just 4 2/3 innings during a start against the Diamondbacks in the NLDS and surrendered five earned runs in just four innings in Game 2 of the NLCS against St. Louis. For the postseason, he’s sporting a 12.46 ERA.
But Marcum told Nelson that he’s “used to getting beat up” from his days in the American League East and believes he has an altered game plan that will help him find success Sunday night at Miller Park. It’s about locating first with his fastball, then changing speeds on the Cardinals’ hot-hitting lineup.
“I feel great, actually,” Marcum said Saturday. “Arm feels good, body feels good. It’s just matter of going out there and locating and keeping the ball down, throwing strikes to stay ahead of the hitters.”
First pitch is scheduled for just after 8:00 p.m. ET on TBS. Craig will be hosting a live chat here on HBT.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)