Betting odds have Rangers as solid World Series favorites

Oct 17, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT

gambling poster

With that said, Bodog has the Rangers as -165 favorites over the Cardinals in the World Series. Or, put another way: To win $100 on the Rangers you’d have to bet $165 and a $100 bet on the Cardinals would pay $145.

Texas as the favorites probably won’t surprise anyone, although it’s interesting given that Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals are actually slight favorites for Game 1 at -125, compared to C.J. Wilson and the Rangers at +105.

And speaking of betting lines, back in December the Rangers and Cardinals both had identical odds to win the World Series: 20-to-1.

1. yankeesfanlen - Oct 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Does this mean I lost my $5 on a Metropolitans-Royals World Series? Got to double down next year unless Occupy Wall Street comes through.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hahaha! Outstanding Len. I wouldn’t hold my breath on the “protest” though. Can you do me a favor? The next time you are down their please ask (on my behalf)…just what the HELL they are protesting?

2. bobby6s - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:10 PM

“Gambling odds don’t necessarily show which team is better than another team, since the goal is to align half the bettors one side and half the bettors on the other side rather than predict the actual outcome.”

This is dead wrong in major sports betting. Bookies try to maximize their profits, and this sometimes includes exploiting general public biases.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Absolutely Bobby. In fact…I would go so far to say that it happens regularly.
      For example…in Indiana…(other than this year for obvious reasons)…the Colts are generally not favored nearly as heavily as say…in California. I would venture to guess the Packers spread is a lot closer in Wisconsin as well. As you say…general public biases.

3. nlfan865 - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Betting? There’s no betting in baseball!!!

4. tridecagon - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Yep, that’s it Vegas. Just keep making StL the underdogs. Thanks much.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I have said the same thing a dozen times today Tride.

Orioles turn AL East on its head