Oct 17, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
We keep hearing that the Red Sox and the Cubs are continuing to negotiate a compensation deal for the Cubs’ hiring Theo Epstein, but according to Buster Olney, Bud Selig wants this stuff wrapped up before the World Series starts on Wednesday so it doesn’t distract from baseball’s big show.
I get his concern because that’s the sort of thing baseball commissioners are always concerned about, but that whole “it distracts from the World Series spotlight” notion seems like an antiquated one. It’s not like it was 25 years ago when the baseball press was only able to handle one big baseball story a day due to column inches and travel and communication limitations and stuff. Fifteen things can happen on the same day and they’ll all get covered.
No one who is predisposed to watch the World Series is going to avoid it because of a story about negotiations over an executive. And let’s be honest: baseball is a local game: people in Chicago care way more about Theo Epstein and the Cubs than the World Series. Especially when the World Series involves the hated Cardinals.
Embrace the cacophony, Bud. People talking about baseball, no matter the subject, is a good thing. We can handle more than one thing going on at once.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)