Bud Selig wants the Theo Epstein stuff done before the World Series starts. But he shouldn’t care.

Oct 17, 2011, 9:52 AM EST

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig speaks during a news conference in New York

We keep hearing that the Red Sox and the Cubs are continuing to negotiate a compensation deal for the Cubs’ hiring Theo Epstein, but according to Buster Olney, Bud Selig wants this stuff wrapped up before the World Series starts on Wednesday so it doesn’t distract from baseball’s big show.

I get his concern because that’s the sort of thing baseball commissioners are always concerned about, but that whole “it distracts from the World Series spotlight” notion seems like an antiquated one.  It’s not like it was 25 years ago when the baseball press was only able to handle one big baseball story a day due to column inches and travel and communication limitations and stuff.  Fifteen things can happen on the same day and they’ll all get covered.

No one who is predisposed to watch the World Series is going to avoid it because of a story about negotiations over an executive. And let’s be honest: baseball is a local game: people in Chicago care way more about Theo Epstein and the Cubs than the World Series. Especially when the World Series involves the hated Cardinals.

Embrace the cacophony, Bud.  People talking about baseball, no matter the subject, is a good thing.  We can handle more than one thing going on at once.

1. easports82 - Oct 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Bud has a personal issue with multitasking. This is why the Oakland stadium issue drags on and on: he can’t sit down and focus on it specifically. Life keeps happening.

• Old Gator - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Multitasking? The guy couldn’t shit and read a newspaper at the same time.

2. lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Bud has to worry , the only way this WS match-up could be worse for TV is if the brewers had made it. Although NAMBLA will be watching because there national spokesman TLR will be in it.

• tashkalucy - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Thank you for validating what I’ve been writing here since before the playoffs began.

All the national baseball media cares abut in MLB are the Red Sox and Yankees….sometimes the Phillies and Mets sneak in.

“Bud has to worry , the only way this WS match-up could be worse for TV is if the brewers had made it.”

Why?

The Rangers are one of the best hitting teams in MLB. This is their 2nd WS appearance in a row. They play in the 5th biggest media market in the country.

The Cardinals are a traditional NL power, featuring possibly the best manager in baseball – Tony LaRussa, and the best player of the past decade – Albert Puhols – as baseball smart as he is talented.

But yu’re thinking is understandable, because the national media prepared you for the Red Sox or Yankees meeting the Phillies, so this WS is a downer to you.

Tell me……did you skip the Super Bowl because the small market Steelers played the miniscule market Packers back in January? Most of America didn’t.

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I am a baseball fan first and foremost. I will watch the mariners v. Royals on a Tuesday night if given the chance. Bud is beholden to the almighty dollar. So lets be realistic He wants east coast v. East coast. If he could figure out a way for the sox yanks to play in the WS he would sell his sole to do it.

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I mean sell his soul not sole. And no I did not miss the super bowl, but I must admit that I would not be heart broken if I missed the NHL finals, the NBA finals or the super bowl.

• jwbiii - Oct 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Bud Selig’s soul may already be heavily mortgaged. The bottoms of his feet might be worth more.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM

TLR and NAMBLA??

Maybe I’m missing some key piece of information, but WTF are you talking about?

You DO know what NAMBLA is, right? What the hell does La Russa have to do with that?

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Of course I know what it stands for and now your blocked for questioning me.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I’m BLOCKED?

All I’m asking for is what the connection is between the two. That’s a pretty twisted thing to say otherwise.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM

aces'; I think you’re right, he didn’t know wtf “NAMBLA” is or what he’s talking about. OR could be he did know and thought he’d slip than crap in there about LaRussa without substantiating it because he’s accusing a guy of pedophilia for kicks. I find this odious.

So “loveusomeu” you got any proof of this pedophilia or are you just dropping that crap on TLR because you think its funny to label someone like that for your own amusement?

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I would to apologize to Cru and aces for my childish attempt at humor. Wait a minute both of you can KMA.

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Oh and Cru your blocked as well

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I’m actually glad for this. As a Cub fan, I’m hoping Bud saying something will end this stupid game of chicken that’s being played over Theo.

4. Matt Aromando - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Cubs fans might watch the WS to root on the Rangers or more accurately to watch the Cardinals lose.

• comeonnowguys - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Yes, this would be the first time ever in the history of sports that one fandom rooted for a rival to lose.

5. tashkalucy - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Of course HardballTalk thinks this is none of Bud’s affair.

All of the national media want to continue to upstage MLB’s playoff’s and now WS with stories about the Red Sox and Yankees. They’ve been doing it for decades….why stop now?

Since the Red Sox and Yankees have been eliminated from MLB’s playoffs, there have been more stories here about each of those teams then there have been about any of the 4 individual teams that made the LCS.

HardballTalk is an outgrowth of ProFootballTalk. Look back to the NFL playoffs last year and see if there were more stories on it about teams that were not in the playoffs as opposed to ones that were.

The national baseball media lives to write and rewrite articles abut any juicy tidbit or rumor on the Red Sox or Yankees as opposed to covering their subject – MLB. And they’ve become as brain-dead as the front-running Red Sox and Yankee fans that dominate the sites because most of America (Bud Selig’s potential customers that know their teams are 2nd class citizens and don’t subscribe or read them to any degree. And the media has joined the front-running fans in not understanding the game enough to comprehend the fact that other teams have learned that there’s more to winning then throwing money at whatever sexy free agent or salary dump player is available in the off-season. I don’t know how long these sites and magazines will find readers when they spend the next 3-5 years asking what’s wrong with the Red Sox and Yankees as those 2 teams fight for 3rd place in the AL East. How utterly boring it is to have to cover teams like the Cardinals and Rangers. Ick!

So is Fielder going to go to the Yankees or Red Sox?

• Matt Aromando - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM

That’s the cool thing about the internet, you can just skip the articles you don’t want to read.

• allzeroes - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Thank you Matt, guess Tashkalucy would rather complain than do the simple thing. Hey Taskalucy, if you hate MLB and it’s coverage so much, tune out.

• tashkalucy - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM

And the cooler thing is that one can comment when one sees slanted and biased advertising that purports to be news.

It’s this whole “brand” thing that has taken over most institutions n America. Have to monetize everything.

• Old Gator - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM

First of all, I want to reassert Tashkalucy’s right to comment on anything he wants here, no matter how irrelevant. It is only by defending his right to immateriality that I protect my own, and since I’m immaterial and irrelevant so much more often than he/she is (gender neutral site), I have a vested interest in taking a firm stand and then pissing all around it to keep the other dogs away.

Having said that, I also want to echo his contempt for the commodification of all things once personal, spiritual or otherwise life-enhancing.

I would also like to announce that I am seeking a fat corporate contract for the naming rights to my blogging handle – you know, like, um, “Aricept Old Gator.”

• professorperry - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM

You’re right! Talking about stories that draw the interest of fans in big baseball-obsessed markets is a TERRIBLE business decision. I, also, don’t know how long these sites and magazines will find readers when the spend the next 3-5 years writing stories that draw the interest of said fans. Probably at least the next 3-5 years.

6. tashkalucy - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I love getting flamed by all the Red Sox and Yankee fans here. Using their thumbs down option as they want MLB to be their little sandbox.

You people still can’t figure it out, can you?

MLB has passed you by. Your front office and owners have to do more then just throw money at it, and like you, they have no clue what to do.

You’re Red Sox and Yankee fans. Please, don’t pass yourselves off as baseball fans or as baseball knowledgeable. You’re front runners.

The Onion has the situation down. Sorry I’m not as funny as them.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Bad trolls are bad.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I for one am not a Sox or Yankee fan. I however care what happens to those teams. They drive baseball = money = media interest = my interest. I don’t think I’m at all unique.

There’s plenty of other stuff to read on this site. Didn’t see you comment on the NLCS or the McCourt thread, or in fact anything that doesn’t have some sort of Sox/Yankee slant. Your Sox/Yankee bias is showing tashkalucy…

7. allzeroes - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’m neither a Red Sox or Yankees fan. I will give you a thumbs down pretty much anytime you post, because all you do is whine. You are entitled to your opinions, and those of us that give you a thumbs down are as well. Get over yourself.

8. bigleagues - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Waaaaaaaa, Yankees news. Waaaaaaaaaa, Red Sox stories. Waaaaaaa, why is there nothing about my team.

Meanwhile, Selig is focused on one frightening imminent event that tortures his sensibilities. The CEO is praying that this World Series does not go 7 games. Not because Texas and St Louis aren’t a marquis match-up, but because he realizes MLB doesn’t stand a chance against the October 27th premiere of the new Beavis and Butthead.

He’s still got a stick up his butt over “frog baseball”.

9. bigleagues - Oct 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Here is the best scoop of the day on the progress (or lack thereof) of the Cubs/Sawx negotiations.

• bigleagues - Oct 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Oooops, here’s the link:

10. avietar - Oct 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM

“Selig wants this stuff wrapped up before the World Series starts on Wednesday so it doesn’t distract from baseball’s big show.”

Bud should be grateful: it helped distract from the fact that the Brewers (that he doesn’t own any more) just got their heads handed to them by the Cards.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5326)