Oct 17, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
This news is about as surprising as Chris Carpenter getting the Game 1 assignment, but general manager John Mozeliak indicated that the Cardinals will stick with a 12-man pitching staff for the World Series.
On most teams 12 pitchers are overkill during the playoffs, when the rotation shortens and setup men and closers dominate the bullpen workload, but considering how short manager Tony La Russa’s hook has been with starters and how much he loves to play matchups with relievers it makes sense for St. Louis.
As for who’ll get the final couple spots in the eight-reliever bullpen, that remains to be seen after the Cardinals used Jake Westbrook as a long man in the NLDS only to replace him with Kyle McClellan in the NLCS.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)