Cardinals likely to keep 12-man pitching staff for World Series

Oct 17, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

This news is about as surprising as Chris Carpenter getting the Game 1 assignment, but general manager John Mozeliak indicated that the Cardinals will stick with a 12-man pitching staff for the World Series.

On most teams 12 pitchers are overkill during the playoffs, when the rotation shortens and setup men and closers dominate the bullpen workload, but considering how short manager Tony La Russa’s hook has been with starters and how much he loves to play matchups with relievers it makes sense for St. Louis.

As for who’ll get the final couple spots in the eight-reliever bullpen, that remains to be seen after the Cardinals used Jake Westbrook as a long man in the NLDS only to replace him with Kyle McClellan in the NLCS.

1. cur68 - Oct 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I hope this means no more Dotel. I hate that guy….

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM

How can you hate those socks?

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM

They’re on that guy.

2. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Oct 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I really hope Sanchez gets put back on the roster. Where’d he go, Mo? Tony? Why’s McClellan there if he’s not going to be used? Hello? Tony?

• 78mu - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I don’t think the teams wants to push Sanchez after he had soreness in Houston. They’ll shut him down and plan on him next year.

3. cptnew1 - Oct 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I wasn’t excatly thrilled when I heard we were getting Dotel, but I have to give him credit, he’s pitched pretty well.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Which is what burns me about that guy. When he was a Blue Jay he was ever so mediocre. I could count on him to cough up a lead, give up the go ahead or just suck. When I found out the Jays had got Rasmus for that guy I was just thrilled and ready to canonize Anthopolous as a saint. But how did that work out, eh? Dotel pitching well in the post season and Rasmus..being Rasmussian. The fates were cruel to me and I have decided its all Dotel’s fault. So I shall cling to my hate and cherish it as I would an interesting wart on someone I don’t care for; because it’s there and I feel an irrational pride in being able to dislike someone irrationally.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM

“..and Rasmus..being Rasmussian”

Now that was classic, well done!

Colby’s finally paying dividends for the Cards, addition by subtraction to the nth degree.

4. cptnew1 - Oct 17, 2011 at 3:52 PM

That comment wasn’t meant to rhyme.

5. rambodiaz - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

After watching last night’s NLCS finale, I’m not sure a 12-man staff is going to be enough.

6. materialman80 - Oct 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

As a Cardinals fan, the starting pitching has to be better for us to have a chance against Texas. The bullpen can’t do it all. Sure glad to see the Cards back in the Series!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet