Oct 17, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Look, I don’t have anything against Michael Young. Fine player. For all I know he’s a nice guy. But the level of adoration he gets from the baseball press has always vexed me.
It’s been some time since he was the best player on his team, yet he is treated as though he is. He has been involved in the sorts of little clubhouse and front office controversies that get most players branded “difficult,” yet they instantly become part of his legend, with Young “putting such adversity behind him” despite the fact that he created the adversity in the first place. Again, this doesn’t make him a bad guy. He’s human just like anyone else. But why he gets such great press when no one else who has performed, who has behaved or who has been paid like him gets the same treatment is beyond me.
He’s back in the World Series and the Michael Young love-fest begins anew. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com had a feature on him over the weekend. There’s another in the New York Times today. I’m guessing we’ll see many more in the coming days. I’m assuming we’ll see more stories about Young than we will about Adrian Beltre, Mike Napoli and the rest of the Rangers roster combined.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)