Michael Young expected to play first base under National League rules in St. Louis

Oct 17, 2011, 9:50 PM EST

Michael Young

The Rangers won’t have the benefit of the designated hitter for Games 1 and 2 of the World Series against the Cardinals, which means Michael Young will almost certainly get the nod at first base in St. Louis.

The only other realistic option is Mitch Moreland, but he is hitting just .105 (2-for-19) during the postseason. The 26-year-old has struck out in five out of his last six at-bats.

Rangers manager Ron Washington told Jeff Caplan of ESPNDallas.com¬†earlier today that Young will play, so even though he declined to name his starting first baseman, it’s fairly obvious where he’s leaning.

“In Moreland’s case, yes, he’s struggling a little bit now,” Washington said. “It comes down to just trying to get the best nine out there I possibly can on that day. I’ve made a decision, but I’m not ready to talk about it.”

Young is batting .209 (9-for-43) with eight strikeouts during the postseason, but finally busted out in the Game 6 clincher against the Tigers on Saturday night, going 3-for-6 with a home run, two doubles and five RBI. The 34-year-old started 36 games at first base during the regular season and four during the ALDS and ALCS.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Edit: Michael Young expected to play first base when real baseball is being played.

• D.J. Short - Oct 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Ha, I like that. Approved.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

• natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Oh good, an opportunity to thumbs down the lameness of pitchers batting. Twice.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM

It would have been a better effect if you would have done this “…….twice”. Why should pitchers not bat? Why is it “lame”? Is it because chicks dig the long ball?

• Reflex - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

“Oh good, an opportunity to thumbs down the lameness of catchers batting. Four times.”

Yeah, works for a lot of positions.

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I used to feel like that when I was a boy, but now that I am grown up I:

a) don’t really care, because its not like baseball was invented by god and its rules have been perfect from the begining (really, do you ant the pitcher to throw from an actual box and have the hitter s call high or low?);

2) I don’t find watching pitcher hit. There is little compelling about knowing a rally is going to fail because the player at the plate is purposefully terrible;

— I do not like seeing the starting pitcher taken out of the game ater 6 innings because his team can’t score

** I don’t find the “double switch” fun. again, its putting inferior players on the field.

VI) I can take of leave the DH, have only 8 batters come to the plate is fine with me, or a dh. both are better than a bag of meat with a stick at home plate.

All in all, I don’t really care, I prefer not to watch a pitcher hit, but it really doesn’t matter/

• spudchukar - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM

You know what Clyde, I could care less what your titillating deprived mind likes. Criticizing the NL with the banal argument that you do not like to watch pitchers hit lacks any relevance. Once the Summer Olympics most cherished athlete was the decathlete. Maybe cause we have become a nation of specialization we no longer appreciate the multi-talented performance. What is next, the offensive team and the defensive team? How long until a second DH will be championed by those who claim watching a light-hitting defensive whiz at SS is unpalatable to your spectacularied deficient sentience.

In the end it is about sacrifice. Not like in the bunt, but in choice. I know today’s society considers self-deprecation of any sort to be foolish, but the relevance of that practice in our great game is too easily dismissed. Baseball has always been the most difficult game to play. The DH does nothing to uphold that ideal.

• clydeserra - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:40 AM

you could care less?

• natstowngreg - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Gee, a host of same old, same old arguments. I expect better from you guys.

3. Kyle - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Good call by the Rangers. Young can’t single single-handedly win games all by himself from the bench.

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I am surprised he hasn’t asked to be traded since Washington won’t commit to playing him everyday

4. txnative61 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:23 AM

I’m of two minds on the DH. On the one hand, I don’t like pitchers being pampered and singled out for special treatment. Traditionally there are only players, top to bottom, same rules, just good ole baseball. On the other hand, it is more exciting to see more offense, pitchers duals are boring, and what the hell, who didn’t like seeing a Bonds long ball leaving Candlestick? And shouldn’t Edgar Martinez have a chance at the HOF? So why not have one league one way and one league the other? Oh, yeah. Well leave it this way then, its traditional.

5. mattjg - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Having never Played The Game at a professional level, I’m unclear on how this would work if Young didn’t play. Would his scrappiness while sitting in the dugout still inspire his teammates to greatness, or does he have to actually be in the lineup to sprinkle his intangibles over the otherwise useless Rangers players?

• artisan3m - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I take it that none of the Rangers got your all-star vote? I don’t know why I feel that way, but its just my gut instinct. Since the Rangers didn’t need your blessings to get to the Dance, I doubt your withholding it now will make much difference in their winning the series, as useless as they may be.

6. ezwriter69 - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Geez, don’t talk about Michael Young, you’ll get Calcaterra ranting again, just by mentioning his name…

7. kbeau19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM

young did NOT request a trade whoever believes that is full of shit the rangers wanted to trade him I’m sick of the critisizm its ridiculous how much more dominant does a guy have to be to get some respect?

8. kbeau19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:49 PM

and really “useless rangers players” do you have down syndrome hamilton, Cruz, beltre, and napoli all missed a combined season and all where still among the top offensive players in the AL so that comment is COMPLETELY retarded

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5920)