Michelle Obama, Jill Biden to attend the World Series opener

Oct 17, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT

Michele Obama

Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are scheduled to attend the World Series opener in St. Louis on Wednesday night to honor military veterans. It’s part of MLB’s Welcome Back Veterans program and Michelle Obama’s Joining Forces initiative, which seeks to support veterans and their families.

There’s not much else to this little news item, which came as a press release from Major League Baseball.  I just want the record to reflect that the moment I read it, I pictured Michele Obama throwing out the first pitch like Queen Elizabeth from “The Naked Gun.”

How about that queen, ladies and gentlemen?

1. The Common Man - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I bet Michelle has a better arm than Barack.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM

LOL! That is something I do NOT doubt. Not for one minute. I am sure she has a cannon.

• kopy - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM

La Russa will find a use for her.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yep…(13th pitcher). After all…you can never have enough options right?

• JBerardi - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM

TLR was schilling for Glen Beck’s old angry white folks rally a few months back… Michelle will be playing for the Blue Jays in no time.

2. aaronmoreno - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:33 PM

That movie made me miss Enrico Palazzo.

Also, [random political statement attacking one side or the other].

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Jberardi: We couldn’t be so lucky. Let’s hope she (and Barry) signs with the Jays prior to the 2012 election.

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I am not sure which is a bigger fail, reply or content

3. El Bravo - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I just perused a co-workers personal photos from inside the Card’s clubhouse last night. I’m so jealous. Her kid and the kid’s friend have Furcal’s wristbands at home with them…unbelievable…that would be a dream come true for me. It would be way better than being backstage at any concert. I don’t even like the Cards. In fact, I go out of my way to root against them as a Chicagoan. But man, who in their right mind would not appreciate being in that clubhouse last night and how could one resist catching a little bit of fan-boy attitude during that moment?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Absolutely. I would probably piss myself. What/who is the connection?

4. jucam1 - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Maybe Mrs O can motivate someone to watch this awful series…. I dont care and neither does 95% of the country… Regardless hope the Rangers win, nobody wants to see Tony La Douche-a telling us how he’s a genius

• Lukehart80 - Oct 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Well gosh, if there’s someone who doesn’t want to watch this World Series, the Rangers and Cardinals should probably just step aside and let the Yankees and Phillies play instead.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Yeah really.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM

If you don’t care, why are you reading stories about it?

• antlerclaws - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I don’t see how someone can legitimately call themeselves a baseball fan and not watch the World Series or the playoffs, I don’t care who’s playing. You may love or hate the teams involved, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be exciting and you can’t pick a team to root for. Why is this so prevalent in baseball? People don’t seem to have this problem with football; they can always seem to pick one team to be the hero and one to be the villain. Is this so hard with baseball? Just because your home (East Coast [cough cough]) team is eliminated doesn’t mean you can’t see exciting, fun, great baseball. So, I say to jucam1—NOT A TRUE BASEBALL FAN.

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Antlerclaws: how about a baseball fan with out a tv, or like me, one that rarely watches the TV.

• cintiphil - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Did you actually poll the whole country, or is the 95% thing just a guess? I am thinking the latter. Who really cares what you think? If you have a favorite team, lets hear from you, why they aren’t in the series.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM

My guess is….”Mrs O” will do the opposite of motivating anyone. More like….de-motivation.
      As for TLR…his wins will tell you how much of a genius he is.
      By the way…don’t you have a protest to attend?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:15 PM

He is a pretender.

5. antlerclaws - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Does the above clip make anyone nostalgic for blue blazers on broadcasters?

6. phukyouk - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

i’m going to say it before anyone else does cause it is inevitable that it gets said.. but do you know how much fu*king money this is going to cost the taxpayers?

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM

So? How much more than what the executive wives would be doing otherwise?

How much is it costing tax payers to have GWB front and center in arlington?

Yes, having a cult of celebrity to go along with your government is going to cost your government money. But not really more than it would if they didn’t go to the game and lead their lives normally.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Can you do me a favor an NOT vote in 2012?

• clydeserra - Oct 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Not vote for what?

I pointed out that having and protecting the president, ex president, and their families cost taxpayer money.

How does that make you feel like I don’t deserve to vote?

7. pisano - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Who gives a sh#t about those two douche’s and their husbands, haven’t they blown enough tax payer money? I hope the four of them get lost and never return. Better yet, try living in Europe.

• pisano - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM

phukyouk…You just beat me to it.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Yeah…what both of them said!

• pauleee - Oct 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Didn’t I just click OUT of Fark?

• Reflex - Oct 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I care, because I quite like them. Plus, they are spending less taxpayer money than their predecessors.

• pisano - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Do your homework Reflex, this administration has spent more $ than all the other administrations combined, read the newspapers and watch the news.

8. natstowngreg - Oct 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Last season, the First Lady attended a game at Nats Park, to push one of her issues. Lots of police around, and snipers at strategic locations. From where I was sitting, I could see some of them, and it made me just a tad nervous.

9. jgramata - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Seriously? That’s all you could find in this release to write about? How about the cause of this not for profit trying to help veteran families re-enter society and function again after the traumatic experiences of being at war. Great job MLB for recognizing this important transitional cause in helping our soldiers and their families get their lives back to hopefully what will be “normal” once again.

Dig a little deeper into your “journalism” bag when trying to see what angle to write a story from when given an assignment. You missed the boat on this one.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey