Oct 17, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
He’ll be matched up against C.J. Wilson, although Texas hasn’t made that official yet.
Carpenter was needed for Game 162 of the regular season and Game 5 of the NLDS–and he threw complete-game shutouts in both starts–so Kyle Lohse and Jaime Garcia got the Game 1 assignments in the first two playoff rounds.
Carpenter finished the regular season on fire, going 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA in his final five starts, but surrounded the NLDS gem against the Phillies with a pair of poor playoff outings (one of them on short rest).
He tossed eight shutout innings versus the Tigers in his lone World Series start in 2006. He was also with the Cardinals during their previous run to the World Series in 2004, but didn’t pitch because of an injury. For his playoff career the 36-year-old former Cy Young winner is 7-2 with a 3.11 ERA in 12 starts.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17