Oct 17, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
He’ll be matched up against Chris Carpenter, as both teams are able to arrange their rotations as they wanted thanks to neither LCS going the full seven games. Carpenter and the Cardinals are slight favorites in Game 1, but the Rangers are solid favorites for the entire series.
No word yet on who’ll follow Wilson in the Rangers’ rotation, but manager Ron Washington went with Derek Holland in Game 2, Colby Lewis in Game 3, and Matt Harrison in Game 4 during both the ALDS and ALCS. Holland failed to make it out of the fifth inning in each of his last three starts, so it’s possible he could be bumped back.
Wilson is 1-4 with a 5.40 ERA in seven career playoff starts, while Carpenter is 7-2 with a 3.11 ERA in 12 career postseason outings.
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 3
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 49
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 49
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)