Oct 17, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
He’ll be matched up against Chris Carpenter, as both teams are able to arrange their rotations as they wanted thanks to neither LCS going the full seven games. Carpenter and the Cardinals are slight favorites in Game 1, but the Rangers are solid favorites for the entire series.
No word yet on who’ll follow Wilson in the Rangers’ rotation, but manager Ron Washington went with Derek Holland in Game 2, Colby Lewis in Game 3, and Matt Harrison in Game 4 during both the ALDS and ALCS. Holland failed to make it out of the fifth inning in each of his last three starts, so it’s possible he could be bumped back.
Wilson is 1-4 with a 5.40 ERA in seven career playoff starts, while Carpenter is 7-2 with a 3.11 ERA in 12 career postseason outings.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)