Oct 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Chris Carpenter will start Game 1 of the World Series for the Cardinals and publicly at least various members of the team downplayed talk of his elbow being an issue, but Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that “Carpenter suffered inflammation and swelling of the elbow” following his start against the Brewers last Wednesday.
According to Strauss he “required lengthy daily treatments” leading up to a potential Game 7 start in the NLCS and any notion of Carpenter starting on short rest for a second time this postseason has been ruled out.
In fact, his Game 1 start will come on six days’ rest following an abbreviated 89-pitch outing, so if ever Carpenter was going to be at full strength this would be the time.
Strauss hints that the Cardinals were somewhat worried about Carpenter’s status for a potential Game 7 against Milwaukee, so he needs all the extra time off he can get.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)