Emily Greinke was not happy with her NLCS seats in Busch Stadium

Oct 18, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

San Diego Padres v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Remember the dustup about where the Brewers’ players’ families would sit in Busch Stadium during the NLCS? About how it was all a misunderstanding and that everyone would be in suites and stuff? Yeah, someone forgot to get Emily Greinke the right ticket because she ended up sitting down in the left field corner and wasn’t at all happy about it. Her tweet, via Larry Brown Sports:

“Thanks Cards for the lovely seats in the outfield! I hope our behind home plate seats for you mysteriously disappear!”

The picture over at LBS next to the comely Mrs. Grienke accompanied the tweet and was apparently taken from her seat.

Observation #1: If the Cardinals were really putting the wives of players down in general seating after the Brewers complained about it and after they never did that with other teams’ families, it’s totally weak sauce. Families of players in opposing stadiums have legitimate security concerns and shouldn’t be sprinkled all over the park.

Observation #2: Even if it’s weak sauce, a player’s wife taking to Twitter to complain about such a thing isn’t exactly the height of professionalism either. Better to go through team and league channels to ensure that teams aren’t messing around with players’ families like this in the future.

All of that said, perhaps Mrs. Greinke was ultimately done a favor. After all, she didn’t have to watch the Brewers pitchers up close, and that has to have been easier on her.

1. Nick C - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

The Brewers must have brought a gigantic contingent to STL because it is my understanding that they were given 3 party suites, each of which accomodates ~35-40 people, comes with free food, beer and soda, and has its own private securitized entry.

• pancakeeater - Oct 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

what http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRnBSECUTA ?

2. cardsfanindelaware - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

There’s no crying in baseball!!

3. El Bravo - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Where’s Emily Greinke’s World Series seat going to be? Oh right, it’s exactly adjacent to Zack’s seat in their living room.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM

To be honest, it sounds like Zack’s got a pretty good seat, there.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM

If social anxiety disorder and depression could snag me a babe like that, then sign me up and pass the Prozac.

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM

It is the big contract that snags a “babe like that”…can you say high maintenance?

Good luck with that one Zack, I hear the other wives think her act is phoney.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I think Zack will be OK in the living room..or anyother room for that matter.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Well yes, there IS that too, paperlions.

Why so cynical? ;)

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I’m not cynical…have you seen the wives of even the ugly baseball players? Damn. The competition among the wives is probably makes the game of baseball seem like a friendly competition where no one is sure what the score is….

• aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Ha, I know! I’m just kidding around.

It’s all about the money. Always.

• dnc6 - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM

paperlions – you should probably think before you speak up. Greinke has been with her since his high school days. Well before the big contract. But hey, its much easier to spout off than to do a little bit of research.

4. Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Buy her a Porsche, Zack. She’ll shut up and leave us alone for at least a month.

5. stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM

She’s “phoney.”

6. Mike Luna - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Heaven forbid she have to sit out there with all of the regular people.

By regular, I obviously mean poor.

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM

What poor people can afford NLCS playoff tickets?

• 3kittymama - Oct 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Yeah, she’s no better than anyone else. I wonder if she expects separate ladies’ rooms for players’ wives too, so she won’t have to pee in the stall next to a peasant?

7. sknut - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM

The Cardinals should offer her world series tickets so her and her hubby can see what they are missing out on.

8. paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Have there been any stories of StL fans cussing, spitting, or spilling beverages or food on Milwaukee fans or player’s family members? While I agree with the general principal of having family member in secure areas and together as a group, StL is one of the places that families will not have to worry about being harrassed, even during playoff series.

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Yep, nobody ever does anything stupid in Stl. I understand it’s generally a calm, inviting fan base, but you are way wrong if you think there aren’t A$$holes in Stl. A$$holes with too much Bud at that. “We’re good people” is not a good enough reason to stick the players family from the opposing team in the bleachers.

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I know there are assholes in StL, but much like the comment section here, the fact that the majority of people are NOT assholes and do not suffer them keeps assholes in check while they are such a huge minority….there is no culture at that ballpark that encourages assholedom….peer pressure works for the good sometimes as well.

9. pjmitch - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Just another high maintenance gold digger that can’t keep her mouth shut. Good choice Zack. May you have many years of bliss with this one.

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Wow. You don’t know anything about her except that she’s beautiful, has a rich boyfriend, and didn’t like her seats. That gets under my skin.

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

yeah, I’m sure her beauty and her husbands salary are just a coincidence…there is no correlation whatsoever betweeh young wife hotness and wealth/fame, nope, none.

Is it a generalization and stereotype? Of course it is.

Is it most likely accurate in this case? Well….

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I have to agree with paperlions. Most hot chicks are gold diggers.

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM

You guys know the wrong hot chicks…

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I did not say that most hot chicks are gold diggers…but if a guy’s only apparent asset to attract a mate is his contract (think John Lackey here….or Greinke, if you choose), and he has a hot wife that would make you think WTF if the guy was not rich….well….

10. Jonny 5 - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

StL will spare nothing to get an edge. Screwing with players families, squirrels. Whatever it takes….

11. pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

She probably complained to Zach, which ultimately created a distraction for him and something else for him to have to think about instead of pitching.

Anyways, she could sit on my face in front of my LED next time and have the best seat in the house.

12. a125125125 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

1st World Problems

• vince9663 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Not so much. It’s conceivable that such an issue could also arise in a third world country where baseball is also popular.

As for the second world, I’m not so sure what the analog would be. In Soviet Russia, seat disappears you?

13. vince9663 - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I don’t think you get to question her professionalism on this because there isn’t any specific profession you’re using as a reference point.

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

You kidding me? Spending that money Zach makes and keeping herself looking all purdy for him is a full time job in itself.

14. pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

The correct reply to Ms G would be “When did y’all get internet access in the kitchen?”

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Seriously? You think she has any idea whatsoever what to do in a kitchen?

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Word is Zach hides his money in the freezer, so yes.

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I didn’t mean this as a dig specifically at Mrs. G….I don’t know any women under 30 (and very few under 35) that have even the faintest idea how to cook…they can heat up something and that is about it. Seems like most people never learn to cook anymore, and if you are under 40 and can cook, there is just as good a chance of you being male as female.

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Unoriginal sexist troll is unoriginal and sexist.

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Say’s the guy who uses one of the oldest “memes” on the internet. Relax.

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM

1) That was kind of the point. 2) I’m not a guy.

15. Alex K - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I had no idea so many people who read HBT know the Greinke’s so well!

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM

You must be new here.

• Alex K - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I’ve probably been around these parts a whole lot longer than you….

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM

You’re right Alex. I think some of these folks are over the line. Whatever, it’s that internet boldness again I guess.

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM

It’s all in good fun. Ms G opened herself up to ridicule once she put the Cardinals on blast via Twitter.

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Sexism bugs me.

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I love sexism. Broads should know there place. Now get back in the kitchen and prepare dinner for your butch husband.

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Wow, you really are a peice of shit, good for you.

• El Bravo - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

OK, I read sasquash20′s remarks and was a bit perturbed and put off by the blatant chauvinism, but then in response to “sexism bugs me” he comes with that remarkable response…

That is right in line with my twisted sense of humor right there b/c you specifically did it to get a rise out of someone (successfully too). Well played. Well played indeed.

Now, b7p19, you are absolutely right to be bugged. But still, there’s humor to be found here so don’t get your panties in a twist. Oh man, now I’m doing it… ahahahahahahha

• spudchukar - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

“Shut the F*** up and get on the plane.”

16. The Baseball Idiot - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

It’s too bad that the Brewers don’t pay someone upwards of $100,000 a year to be something like a traveling secretary for the club.

You know, someone who makes flights and hotel arrangements, makes sure transportation is laid on, liaises with the other team to make sure all the needs of the team are met?

Yeah, too bad the Brewers don’t have someone like that. Then they would be just like every other major league club.

17. clydeserra - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Why is it weak for her to complain on twitter? That is what twitter is for, and it is here to stay.

If the Cardinals screwed up, they should be called out and the problem should be corrected for the future.

• pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM

She could have taken this to team officials. Not only does she open herself to ridicule(waaaaa, my seats are with the 99%’ers) , she also creates an unnecessary distraction for her husband. Why anyone even follows her on Twitter is beyond me. She has about as much to say as a Kardashian.

• clydeserra - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Saying anything ever opens you up to ridicule regardless of the forum.

I guess I don’t get the breech of protocol here. The use of Twitter is a fascinating social change that makes communication more open. Why can’t she complain about something there?

Isn’t it accepted that the Cardinals messed up by not getting the opposing players family together in a suite? Why do they escape public ridicule for making a mistake?

• gostlcards5 - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM

pelly, you need to read the article. The Cardinals put 130-150 people into 3 suites. The remaining approximately 200 tickets were the ones that were “scattered throughout the stadium”.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM

That was for clyde, not pelly! I used the wrong handle, b/c the comment block was not where I expected it….SORRY! :oP

18. halladaysbiceps - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Good. I’m glad the Cardinals put the screws on her seating. Just another privileged person that thinks they are owed everything. Next time, they should put her in the furthest seat from homeplate for opening her dumb, ungrateful mouth.

19. gostlcards5 - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Seriously? They had 350 seats (That’s 14 people per player, of course, not knowing how you factor in the manager’s and coaches’ families, etc.). 130-150 were in suites. Maybe Mrs. Greinke should be asking the Brewers why she didn’t rank in the top 150…?

On the security issues, I have been to a lot of ball games in St. Louis, and I have never, not once, seen any kind of dust-up with other teams’ fans, in the division or out. People there just don’t act the way that they act in larger cities where incidents have happened (NY, LA, Chicago…for example).

The only way that I can imagine that there would be an issue is if someone acted in the jackass fashion that Nyjer Morgan (aka, Tony Douche) does, which doesn’t seem likely to me, unless his kids inherited his schizophrenia.

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I have been to several Cards games over the years and have seen fans going at it with each other. No more then any other stadium, but don’t act like its the safest place for other fans to go. Is it like a Yankees game, no they are just classless scum bags. But its no walk in the park for fans of other teams.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:53 PM

What do you mean by “going at it”, squash? Please elaborate — fisticuffs, cussing each other out, bumping?

I’ve never seen any problems with fans, at all. This is true of both Cincy and St. Louis….not even verbal ridicule of people cheering for the other team. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, because certainly there are drunken idiots in any stadium by the 4th or 5th inning, but as many games as I’ve been to, I would have expected to see something.

(That being said, I’m sure there were plenty of people that would not have been nice to me in my Cardinals gear had I been in the stadium last year during the Reds/Cards fracas.)

20. pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I just wanted to say: I love the fact that a post about a players wife bitching about her seats is one of the most commented posts of the day, myself included. As you were.

21. thefalcon123 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Oh, oh! She had to sit with the lowly commoners! I hope no one touched her! They’ll give her poor, they will!

22. pellypell - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Emily deleted her twitter account just now…

HBT commenters: Doing their part to clean up baseball and get wives internet privileges revoked one Twitter account at a time.

Nice work fellas, who’s next?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5555)