From the “makes no freakin’ sense” department: Jed Hoyer to Chicago?

Oct 18, 2011, 4:13 PM EDT

Jed Hoyer

UPDATE: Well, now this makes more sense.

This makes absolutely no sense in the world but Jon Heyman tweeted this a little while ago:

Padres gm jed hoyer is being considered for hire by the cubs/epstein.

Why on Earth anyone would go from a general manager’s chair to an assistant general manager’s chair without first, you know, being fired, is beyond me.  Indeed, I don’t think we’ve seen a willingly-taken step down like that since Lee Adama went from Commander of the Pegasus to return to being the CAG of Galactica. And even then he had the excuse of the Pegasus being destroyed.

So I guess we can wait anxiously for some crazy story from Jed Hoyer about why he’d commit career suicide like this or else we can wait anxiously for Heyman to reveal that he got pranked by a source big-time. Because anything apart from those two explanations would make little sense. Unless of course the Cubs are going to pay their assistant GM several million dollars a year or something.

1. b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Are people allowed to just come take anything they want from San Diego? Do they even have to ask or can they just punch the Padres in the face and steal whatever looks good to them? I would want Garza in return for Hoyer (provided of course the Cubs don’t come down, punch us all in the face and take Hoyer.)

• jdd428 - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Hoyer would not be going to Chicago as the assistant GM. He would be the actual GM, with Theo being team president or something other title like that. Epstein would be Hoyer’s boss and have final say on pretty much everything, but Hoyer would in fact be the GM.

• chobes68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Garza for Hoyer? Smoking some of California’s finest?

There are lots of rumors going around, and I believe little of it. Unless the reporters are in the room, or on the call, during these negotiations, they’re just dreaming up any connections they can to the Epstein tree.

And who says Epstein will even be the GM? How about President of baseball operations, with Hoyer, or Byrnes, or whomever, as his GM?

• b7p19 - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I realize that Garza is insane. I was playing off the rumor that the Red Sox wanted Garza for Theo.

2. hep3 - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Why would anyone follow Lord Hee Haw on Twitter? I hope his “source” punked him.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM

If his source was Ashton Kutcher, it’s a good bet that he was punk’d

3. halladaysbiceps - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

This is the first time that I have seen a picture of Jed Hoyer. He looks like a kid. Is it me or has there been a decision by MLB teams to go with these GM’s that look like their right out of college? He looks like a Trekie that is waiting to meet Lt. Worf and Commander Data.

4. bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

HELLLOOOOOOOO

Craig . . . there has been more than one report suggesting that is believed that Theo Epstein will be the President and/or CEO of the Cubs and not the GM.

Thus Hoyer could be coming to Chicago as GM. Now, no offense to Padres fans, but I’d rather be GM in one of the largest markets in the country under my best friend who gave me my big break in the business.

So, yeah, I’m guaranteeing that if Heyman is right (and, hey, let’s not forget the source) but if he’s right then Hoyer won’t be coming Eastward for a demotion.

• bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Michael Silverman last night . . .

• El Bravo - Oct 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You sir, are right on point. Again, this is a huge coup for the Cubs and it’s only getting grander in scale. This is very unCubs-like. Ricketts is growing on me…I might have a team to watch on the North Side come 2013 or earlier…

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Frankly, I’d make the move if I was Hoyer, even if it was a demotion. Epstien is the Curse Breaker. Anyone would want to be part of the legacy that takes the Cubs to the Series and wins it. You’d write your own paycheques after that…

• chobes68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I’m excited too, as for once, the Cubs are thinking big, and will do things the right way in building a system.

However, I’m very tired of this story, and wish they’d announce its done, or its not going to happen.

It’s truly ridiculous that this is still going on.

5. yankeesgameday - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Lee really came back to the Galactica to be reunited with his true love, Kara. Bringing Theo and Jed together in Chicago is just their own decades long dance around their own unspeakable feelings.

6. xpensivewinos - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

“Career suicide?” Are you insane? He’s committing career suicide every second he stays with a worthless joke of an organization like the Padres. He’ll destroy his reputation if he stays in San Diego and is forced to sign Jorge Cantu and Brad Hawpe and every year for ten bucks an hour and pray they don’t embarrass themselves……….and him.

Run dude………….run for your life!!!!

• yankeesgameday - Oct 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Totally right. I stayed at my last ob for three years too long and am out of that industry right now. This is a very smart lateral move for a higher profile and bigger upside.

• schlom - Oct 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I think you have a typo in your rant, you obviously mean the Cubs right?

Fixed it should read: “a worthless joke of an organization like the Cubs.”

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Dean Wormer has rated the originality and overall cleverness of your comment on a 1-10 scale:

7. The Common Man - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Teams, as a rule, tend to let their executives and coaches interview elsewhere if the move would be a promotion. It’s interesting that the Sox, then, would continue to demand compensation if Theo would head to the CEO/President spot and bring someone else on as GM.

• bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Yeah, except this isn’t an interview. This is an agreement in principle, which means the Cubs need to convince the Red Sox to let Theo out of that pesky little contract.

8. schlom - Oct 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Why don’t the Cubs just hire Hoyer for their GM? I don’t understand why would hire Epstein and give him a ton of money if he isn’t going to be the team’s sole decision maker.

Also, if the Red Sox asked for Matt Garza as compensation (and have zero leverage) what will the Padres (who don’t want to lose Hoyer) ask for? Starlin Castro?

• bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Epstein has worked under Lucchino virtually his entire career. Ricketts can’t get Lucchino (who he has routinely sought out for advice) so he is hiring the understudy. The Cubs need to do more than revamp the roster and player development . . . they need to maximize revenue and institute a better system of accountability. That’s why Theo is coming.

• chobes68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM

As President, he will be the decision maker. However, I’m sure he’ll look to hire like minded people to surround himself, so that he won’t really have to make every single decision.

9. xpensivewinos - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM

schlom –

My apologies……..I didn’t mean to slight the other organizations that are also worthless jokes :)

10. jamie54 - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Sad to say that Hoyer isn’t needed anyway. Padres are so limited in moves they can make since no hitter worth their weight wants to go there, payroll is going to be restricted on a habitual basis, and besides, Uncle Fred could do what he did. If the Cubs oh so desperately want him, take him, he’s your’s, I see nothing exemplary in anything he’s ever done. Only reason to hire him would be due to being Theo’s drinking buddy, he’s surely not proven to be a star on the rise.

11. jdd428 - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Maybe this was all planned long ago. Imagine this call:

Theo: Hey, Jed. I got a trade idea for you.
    Jed: What’s up?
    Theo: First, I’ll send you a bunch of over-hyped prospects for Adrian Gonzalez.
    Jed: I’m listening.
    Theo: Then I’ll surround Adrian with a bunch of overpaid malcontents who’ll collapse in September and cost us a playoff berth. After that I’ll leave Boston and become president of the Cubs, and I’ll hire you away from the penny-pinching Padres owners! What do you think?
    Jed: Sounds great!

• bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I have to admit this is pretty funny!

12. beer4565 - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Will Epstein’s arrival lead to an increase in the Cub’s staring pitchers drinking beer and eating fried chicken during games? I would like to see a graph on that at the end of next season.

• jdd428 - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM

The beer will be Old Style instead of Sam Adams, and instead of chicken it’ll be deep dish.

13. Robert - Oct 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM

TERRY FRANCONA FOR CUBS MANAGER!!!!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3944)