Oct 18, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has not approved the Athletics’ desired move to San Jose yet, and the voters of San Jose have not approved of whatever small portions of a stadium project that would be required, but A’s owner Lew Wolff is on the verge of buying $24 million worth of real estate in San Jose that will one day — maybe — be part of the Athletics’ new home.
I love the quote from the mayor of San Jose about why, in the absence of these approvals, Wolff is doing this:
“It’s so that Lew can go to the commissioner of baseball and say, ‘I control the dirt.’”
Given their territorial claim, I presume the Giants beg to differ on all of that. But I suppose it’s something.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)