Oct 18, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has not approved the Athletics’ desired move to San Jose yet, and the voters of San Jose have not approved of whatever small portions of a stadium project that would be required, but A’s owner Lew Wolff is on the verge of buying $24 million worth of real estate in San Jose that will one day — maybe — be part of the Athletics’ new home.
I love the quote from the mayor of San Jose about why, in the absence of these approvals, Wolff is doing this:
“It’s so that Lew can go to the commissioner of baseball and say, ‘I control the dirt.’”
Given their territorial claim, I presume the Giants beg to differ on all of that. But I suppose it’s something.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte