Oct 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
MLB announced the umpiring assignments for the World Series and the crew will be led by 23-year veteran Jerry Layne, who’ll be behind the plate for Game 1 tomorrow night.
Layne will be joined by Greg Gibson, Alfonso Marquez, Ron Kulpa, Ted Barrett, and Gary Cederstrom, each of whom have significant postseason experience.
There isn’t a whole lot of umpire-related analysis to do here, but it’s definitely nice to see none of the familiar, headline-grabbing names like Joe West or Bob Davidson showing up on the World Series crew.
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 1
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 13
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 30
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 65
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)