Oct 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
MLB announced the umpiring assignments for the World Series and the crew will be led by 23-year veteran Jerry Layne, who’ll be behind the plate for Game 1 tomorrow night.
Layne will be joined by Greg Gibson, Alfonso Marquez, Ron Kulpa, Ted Barrett, and Gary Cederstrom, each of whom have significant postseason experience.
There isn’t a whole lot of umpire-related analysis to do here, but it’s definitely nice to see none of the familiar, headline-grabbing names like Joe West or Bob Davidson showing up on the World Series crew.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 7
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 91
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)