Oct 18, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
MLB announced the umpiring assignments for the World Series and the crew will be led by 23-year veteran Jerry Layne, who’ll be behind the plate for Game 1 tomorrow night.
Layne will be joined by Greg Gibson, Alfonso Marquez, Ron Kulpa, Ted Barrett, and Gary Cederstrom, each of whom have significant postseason experience.
There isn’t a whole lot of umpire-related analysis to do here, but it’s definitely nice to see none of the familiar, headline-grabbing names like Joe West or Bob Davidson showing up on the World Series crew.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)