Must-Click Link: The most comprehensive article about catchers blocking pitches in the dirt you’ve ever seen
Oct 18, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
That may be the most comprehensive headline I’ve ever written too, but really there’s no other way to go with this.
Bojan Koprivica of The Hardball Times has a huge article up today in which he attacked the issue of catchers blocking pitchers in the dirt, explaining how to go at the problem, how to make good measurements of and adjustments to the data and eventually coming up with a rating of the best and worst catchers in this regard.
But the journey is more important than the destination. If you care about measuring catching defense and stretching the boundaries of what we can quantitatively say in baseball, this stuff is for you.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)