Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Don Cooper managed the White Sox’s final game following Ozzie Guillen’s departure and signed a multi-year contract extension to remain Chicago’s pitching coach, but apparently Guillen and Cooper aren’t exactly on good terms.
Guillen, who just returned from a two-week vacation in Spain and will join the “Baseball Tonight” crew for World Series analysis, had plenty of harsh words after his longtime pitching coach suggested Guillen wasn’t pushing general manager Ken Williams to sign his coaching staff beyond 2011.
Here’s what Guillen told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times:
Cooper needs to look in the mirror. He didn’t back-stab me. I know who he is. He back-stabbed his fellow coaches, the guys he worked with for years. You got family? That’s fine. Everyone does. We all knew Coop was Kenny’s b****. Look, Coop is not a good coach; he’s a great coach. But Coop is Coop. He doesn’t worry about anyone; he worries about himself. I stuck up for my coaches like a m*****f*****.
Guillen feels that Cooper went behind his back to negotiate a contract extension when there was still some chance of Guillen remaining the White Sox’s manager. Here are some more Guillen gems:
Look, those guys didn’t want me. I didn’t leave them. They didn’t want me back, and I understand their point. But don’t tell me I left here. Since last year, this was about integrity, it was about loyalty, it was about do they want me here. Let me say it my way: The Sox were saying, “Yes, we want to f*** you, but we don’t want to marry you.”
And for what it’s worth, Guillen thinks the White Sox did well hiring Robin Ventura as his replacement, saying “they picked the right guy” and “I think they have a great man.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)