Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Don Cooper managed the White Sox’s final game following Ozzie Guillen’s departure and signed a multi-year contract extension to remain Chicago’s pitching coach, but apparently Guillen and Cooper aren’t exactly on good terms.
Guillen, who just returned from a two-week vacation in Spain and will join the “Baseball Tonight” crew for World Series analysis, had plenty of harsh words after his longtime pitching coach suggested Guillen wasn’t pushing general manager Ken Williams to sign his coaching staff beyond 2011.
Here’s what Guillen told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times:
Cooper needs to look in the mirror. He didn’t back-stab me. I know who he is. He back-stabbed his fellow coaches, the guys he worked with for years. You got family? That’s fine. Everyone does. We all knew Coop was Kenny’s b****. Look, Coop is not a good coach; he’s a great coach. But Coop is Coop. He doesn’t worry about anyone; he worries about himself. I stuck up for my coaches like a m*****f*****.
Guillen feels that Cooper went behind his back to negotiate a contract extension when there was still some chance of Guillen remaining the White Sox’s manager. Here are some more Guillen gems:
Look, those guys didn’t want me. I didn’t leave them. They didn’t want me back, and I understand their point. But don’t tell me I left here. Since last year, this was about integrity, it was about loyalty, it was about do they want me here. Let me say it my way: The Sox were saying, “Yes, we want to f*** you, but we don’t want to marry you.”
And for what it’s worth, Guillen thinks the White Sox did well hiring Robin Ventura as his replacement, saying “they picked the right guy” and “I think they have a great man.”
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)