Ozzie Guillen angry at White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper

Oct 18, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Don Cooper, Ozzie Guillen

Don Cooper managed the White Sox’s final game following Ozzie Guillen’s departure and signed a multi-year contract extension to remain Chicago’s pitching coach, but apparently Guillen and Cooper aren’t exactly on good terms.

Guillen, who just returned from a two-week vacation in Spain and will join the “Baseball Tonight” crew for World Series analysis, had plenty of harsh words after his longtime pitching coach suggested Guillen wasn’t pushing general manager Ken Williams to sign his coaching staff beyond 2011.

Here’s what Guillen told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times:

Cooper needs to look in the mirror. He didn’t back-stab me. I know who he is. He back-stabbed his fellow coaches, the guys he worked with for years. You got family? That’s fine. Everyone does. We all knew Coop was Kenny’s b****. Look, Coop is not a good coach; he’s a great coach. But Coop is Coop. He doesn’t worry about anyone; he worries about himself. I stuck up for my coaches like a m*****f*****.

Guillen feels that Cooper went behind his back to negotiate a contract extension when there was still some chance of Guillen remaining the White Sox’s manager. Here are some more Guillen gems:

Look, those guys didn’t want me. I didn’t leave them. They didn’t want me back, and I understand their point. But don’t tell me I left here. Since last year, this was about integrity, it was about loyalty, it was about do they want me here. Let me say it my way: The Sox were saying, “Yes, we want to f*** you, but we don’t want to marry you.”

And for what it’s worth, Guillen thinks the White Sox did well hiring Robin Ventura as his replacement, saying “they picked the right guy” and “I think they have a great man.”

1. El Bravo - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM

“Yes, we want to f— you, but we don’t want to marry you.’’ …this isn’t just a “gem”, it’s a f@cking diamond.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM

It’s as old as the hills and as pointlessly vulgar for a guy in Slobbering Ozzie’s situation as Detroit slum playground talk. A gem? Well it ain’t sixteen bars of gold pressed laudenum, that’s for sure. I don’t even think Quark would have trafficked in it. This is the Slobbering Ozzie who swore he would “manage with class” if the Feesh were dumb enough to hire him. Buddha knows I’m no semantic prude, but I’m not a public figure. I might not even exist for all anybody knows or cares. I might just be an A/I formed spontaneously in the Matrix around nuclei of random bytes of stored information.

On the other hand, though, this is the same Slobbering Ozzie who, as manager of a major league baseball team, should be at least marginally aware that there are kids out there – seriously misguided kids, to be sure, but kids just the same – who will be buying little replica Slobbering Ozzie uniforms and looking up to him. It would serve their parents right if they started talking like him and flunking their English FCATs on purpose so they could be as much like that loudmouthed fecal bolus as possible.

I don’t know if Slobbering Ozzie has it in him to take this team anywhere it otherwise doesn’t have the onfield talent to go, any more that Flat Eddie or the Curmudgeonly Undead before him. It’s clear, however, that he has it in him to disgrace himself as least as often and as unbearably as he did on a daily basis in Chicago.

Yea

• El Bravo - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM

So in other words, you embrace Ozzie and look forward to him making your team a contender again.

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Are you serious? Your just a hater. Your also clueless.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

If this team becomes a contender under this gutter level moron, it will be despite him rather than because of him. He’s going to be nothing more than another embarrassment to a community that already has far more of its share of embarrassments than anyplace outside of a Kansas school board meeting. And all of the completely unmerited attention this drooling clown receives from the media is only stoking his egomaniacal conviction that his lowlife shenanigans and expectoration are not only alright, but are actually creditable. He’s not even as interesting as an octopus figuring out how to get a shrimp out of a closed jar.

• Gamera the Brave - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Respecfully, Gator, I find an octopus figuring out how to get a shrimp out of a closed jar damed interesting, what with their squishy brains and all.

I still cannot get DirecTV to carry “The Cephalopod Channel”, so this kind of a hot button for me…

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM

sasquash20: your also illitirit. “Sasquash” is spelt “sasquatch.” Go back to junyer hie scool.

Gamera: me too. Back in grad school I used to own one myself (until, like everybody else’s pet octopus, he got the screen off the siphon tube and squeezed out into the filter box, splatted on the floor next to the tank, crawled over the carpet and dried out, and was found as a desiccated lump caked with dust and dog hair in a corner behind the love seat). I used to love to have him show off the shrimp-in-the-jar trick to visiting females of my own species – coeds, so you know they were serious about their fascinations – who also found it fascinating.

I am sure, though, that if I had taken them back out to the garden shed and showed them the cage with Slobbering Ozzie in it, they would have listened to his incoherent profanity for thirty seconds and left me for one of the football players.

2. lovesmesomeme - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM

At one point he throws him under him under the bus with the he’s Kenny Williams b***h then helps him out from under it by calling him not just a good coach but a great one. Ozzie is awesome. Get ready south Florida here be comes.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:08 PM

He seems to have some anger management issues.

3. bigleagues - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Considering that ES-f***ing-PN is rated god***m G – rated – how the f*** are they gonna keep up with all those f***ing expletives coming from that s***mouthed Ozzie?!

• baseballisboring - Oct 18, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Yeah, I don’t think it’s like a radio broadcast on a 10-second delay. I think some FCC fines are in the near future…

4. qcubed3 - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM

None of this rant makes any sense. Why in the world would Ozzie even be upset in the first place that the pitching coach (whom he calls a great coach) sought a contract extension to remain the pitching coach?

Clearly, Ozzie’s time with the Sox was up.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Ozzie’s time outside a padded cell is up.

• sasquash20 - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Your just a hater gator! Deal with it loser

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM

So you asserted above.

And you’re (pardon me, “your” [sic]) still illitirit.

• sknut - Oct 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

It has been speculated that Coop ‘spied’ on the other coaches for Williams and Coop was his guy where as the other coaches were Ozzie’s guys. It was obvious time for a change but I do think Ozzie has a valid point in between all the expletives.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Well, if there’s room for an occasional diamond inside a kimberlite pipe, I guess there might be room for a nugget of paranoia compacted within all of Slobbering Ozzie’s expletives.

5. mondzy805 - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Man, its just Ozzie being Ozzie. But he has a point.

6. Walk - Oct 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Only point i can see ozzie having here is if he was cooper’s agent. Otherwise his paycheck has nothing to do with ozzie. From everything i see quoted here it really seems like ozzie wanted everyone to leave if he left and when coop did not leave ozzie felt betrayed. Apparently in ozzie land you have integrity if you refuse a job because a crappy manager. was not going to get a contract extension

7. cur68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Oz kind of comes off as a slighted gang member here. Its going to be interesting in Florida next year, in a “waiting for a sh*t storm” kind of interesting way.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM

As my fellow kaiju fiend Gamera will appreciate, and as Steve Martin informed us in the 1956 Americanized edition of Godzilla, the mother of all kaiju, “everyone in the city was on a watch and wait basis. The wait…was not a long one.”

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Your pain, anger and helplessness, while distressing in someone I like, is also weirdly fascinating and instructive. Should the Jays ever acquire a Manager whom I despise as much as you despise Oz, I shall attempt to raise my bar to where yours is at. Until then I’m remain a student.

So, what have I learned today? First, the term ‘fecal bolus’ is repulsive but I wish i’d thought of it. Second, I need to get an octopus. Third I can now spell “sasquatch” which is one better than those who use it in their blog handle. All in all a good day.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Some years back (some decades back, I mean) a few friends and I made up tags like you find hanging from the sleeves of overpriced sport jackets proudly announcing the blend of :genuine” cotton or wool from which the thing was patched together. Our tags had a black footprint in a white circle and the legend “Genuine Yeti” around the circle. We walked through the lady’s apparel section of Lord and Taylor’s and stuck these tags on the sleeves of a whole bunch of fur coats.

This was before PETA, which is kind of a shame….

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3215)