Oct 19, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
This is pretty spiffy: the ceremonial first pitch — make that “pitches” — tonight in St. Louis will be thrown by Bob Gibson, Bruce Sutter and Adam Wainwright. The significance: they threw the final pitches in each of the Cardinals’ last four World Series-clinching games. Gibson in 1964 and 1967, Sutter in 1982 and Wainwright in 2006.
Personally, I find it totally classless that they didn’t invite back Harry Brecheen, who did the honors in 1946.
What? Well heck, why doesn’t anyone tell me these things.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)