Oct 19, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
This is pretty spiffy: the ceremonial first pitch — make that “pitches” — tonight in St. Louis will be thrown by Bob Gibson, Bruce Sutter and Adam Wainwright. The significance: they threw the final pitches in each of the Cardinals’ last four World Series-clinching games. Gibson in 1964 and 1967, Sutter in 1982 and Wainwright in 2006.
Personally, I find it totally classless that they didn’t invite back Harry Brecheen, who did the honors in 1946.
What? Well heck, why doesn’t anyone tell me these things.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)