Oct 19, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
This is pretty spiffy: the ceremonial first pitch — make that “pitches” — tonight in St. Louis will be thrown by Bob Gibson, Bruce Sutter and Adam Wainwright. The significance: they threw the final pitches in each of the Cardinals’ last four World Series-clinching games. Gibson in 1964 and 1967, Sutter in 1982 and Wainwright in 2006.
Personally, I find it totally classless that they didn’t invite back Harry Brecheen, who did the honors in 1946.
What? Well heck, why doesn’t anyone tell me these things.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 6
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 38
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 31
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)