Oct 19, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
This is pretty spiffy: the ceremonial first pitch — make that “pitches” — tonight in St. Louis will be thrown by Bob Gibson, Bruce Sutter and Adam Wainwright. The significance: they threw the final pitches in each of the Cardinals’ last four World Series-clinching games. Gibson in 1964 and 1967, Sutter in 1982 and Wainwright in 2006.
Personally, I find it totally classless that they didn’t invite back Harry Brecheen, who did the honors in 1946.
What? Well heck, why doesn’t anyone tell me these things.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29