Oct 19, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Bud Selig has said he plans to retire after the 2012 season. Most people don’t believe he will. They believe that some emergency or some groundswell of support from the owners or the simple fact that there isn’t an obvious successor will cause him to extend his time in a job that (a) he truly seems to love; and (b) everyone who has a say in the matter loves him to be in.
But maybe he is retiring. Or at least moving MLB headquarters to the History Department of the University of Wisconsin, because they have a whole office set up for him with furniture and TVs and everything. There’s a nice story about it complete with pics and stuff here. It’s actually a sweet little setup and — for a guy who has been able to have minor leaguers killed at his command and who has been fed the finest meats and cheeses by the fairest maidens in the land for the past 18 years — the digs are fairly modest.
He plans to write his memoirs and help the nearby Wisconsin Historical Society archive his papers. He has endowed a history chair for someone there too because Bud loves history. People in the department seem to like him a lot and call him “kind of fun.”
Will Bud really go gentle into that good night? Watch the Madison office sublease listings on Craigslist next year to be sure.
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 23
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 88
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)