Oct 19, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Bud Selig has said he plans to retire after the 2012 season. Most people don’t believe he will. They believe that some emergency or some groundswell of support from the owners or the simple fact that there isn’t an obvious successor will cause him to extend his time in a job that (a) he truly seems to love; and (b) everyone who has a say in the matter loves him to be in.
But maybe he is retiring. Or at least moving MLB headquarters to the History Department of the University of Wisconsin, because they have a whole office set up for him with furniture and TVs and everything. There’s a nice story about it complete with pics and stuff here. It’s actually a sweet little setup and — for a guy who has been able to have minor leaguers killed at his command and who has been fed the finest meats and cheeses by the fairest maidens in the land for the past 18 years — the digs are fairly modest.
He plans to write his memoirs and help the nearby Wisconsin Historical Society archive his papers. He has endowed a history chair for someone there too because Bud loves history. People in the department seem to like him a lot and call him “kind of fun.”
Will Bud really go gentle into that good night? Watch the Madison office sublease listings on Craigslist next year to be sure.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)