Oct 19, 2011, 7:31 PM EST
Skip Schumaker started two games at second base in the Cardinals’ NLDS defeat of the Phillies, going 6-for-10 in that five-game series.
But Schumaker missed the NLCS due to an oblique strain and is on the bench for Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night in St. Louis.
According to beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told the media on Wednesday at Busch Stadium that Schumaker is being viewed as more of a fourth outfielder than a second baseman in this seven-game Fall Classic against the Rangers.
He’ll fill the role left vacant by Adron Chambers, who was left off the Cardinals’ World Series roster.
Nick Punto is St. Louis’ best defensive option at second base. And if La Russa wants to switch things up, he’s likely to try Ryan Theriot next. Schumaker, despite his quick recovery, will strictly be a bench guy.
Of course, La Russa could always change his mind mid-series, rendering this entire post moot.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 146
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (146)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)