The Game 1 forecast looks to be … blah

Oct 19, 2011, 8:40 AM EST

Tarp Cardinals

Looks like it’s gonna be rather ugly in St. Louis for Game 1 of the World Series.

The forecast: temperatures in the upper 40s with a chance of rain and wind. The wind chill will drop things into the 30s.

Things look dry for Game 2 tomorrow. A tiny bit warmer, but still windy.  Friday, which is currently set as an off day, looks to be lovely in the event they need to postpone tonight and schedule a makeup day.

In Texas, the extended forecast covering Games 3, 4 and 5 calls for a tiny chance of some rain on Saturday, but otherwise blue skies and daytime temperatures in the 80s.

Upshot: if we get past tonight unscathed, we should be laughin’, mates.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Cold temperatures tonight = probable low scoring game.

• jtorrey13 - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I’m beginning to think halladaysbiceps could type, “It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times” and get a thumbs down.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’m used to the thumbs down. It’s happened all year. No worries. I consider it a compliment when they thumb me down.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I won’t thumb you at all, in any direction, or any other dude for that matter. In fact, I’m not even all that interested in thumbing ladies either…just seems awkward.

2. nategearhart - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

If best record determined home field advantage, we’d be looking at 69 degrees and no rain in Arlington for Game 1. Oh wells.

• philiplewis1 - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Amen to that. Forget the All Star win thing. It’s not worth it. Oh, and while you’re at it, make the DH applicable for all 7 games so we don’t have to suffer through the automatic out. How the NL can continue to justify not using the DH is beyond me. They may be the only league in the entire world that doesn’t use it. What kind of sense does that make

• cur68 - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Amen on the DH. Watching pitchers hit is like watching fat guy put on bra. Wrong on so many levels yet it looks like he might just have a reason for doing what he’s dong. All in all; he can holster his man boobs out of my sight. Same with pitchers batting; practice that somewhere else, not during my ballgame which features professional hitters.

• chadh88 - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

cur68,

Pitchers should be able to hit. Besides Mitch Moreland is hitting .105 while Chris Carpenter is hitting .333 this postseason. Just saying.

• chadh88 - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I meant to address that @ philiplewis1 as well.

• salvomania - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yeah it sucked when tonight’s starter, Chris Carpenter got that hit off Halladay in Game 5 of the NLDS; I’m sure Roy was thinking “i’ll just breeze through Carpenter leading off the 8th, and then if I don’t have too much trouble with the 1-2 hitters I’ll be back out for the 9th.”

Instead it leads to a long, laborious 20+ pitch inning for Roy—the last inning he pitched in 2011. That’s the beauty of the pitcher batting: you can’t just assume they’re an automatic out, and it’s that much more fun and exciting when they do something.

And if a “great” hitter makes outs in 7 of every 10 at-bats, and a pitcher makes outs in 8.5 of every 10 at-bats, it’s not that huge of a difference.

And some pitchers (just like some shortstops) can hit: Cardinals starter Edwin Jackson had a higher batting average than every Ranger except Young and Napoli.

• cur68 - Oct 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Don’t be hating on Mitch Moreland. He be the Delmon Young of that team. I just picked him to be the WS MVP. He’ll out hit any pitcher you care to name (for the next 7 games he can, or so I assert. Hey, Delmon Young and Yuniesky Betancourt were absolute beasts this post season. Who saw that coming? That’s right. Nobody. Therefore you gotta now see it coming, amiright?), so you will eat those words.

• chadh88 - Oct 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I wasn’t hating on Mitch Moreland personally, just used him since he has been the Rangers DH. I know he is likely a better hitter than most of the StL staff, but don’t count out the ability of our pitchers to get hits. Most the Rangers starters have swung a bat so infrequently, that they should be a more automatic out than the StL pitchers who have been hitting all year. And possibly more importantly, Stl pitchers are more adept at bunting a runner over.

Agreed this may be a small advantage and CJ Wilson may hit a HR and completely obliterate the point, but any advantage is an advantage and bunting Molina over to 2nd could be the difference between scoring and not scoring a run.

• muffinb - Oct 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM

They use it because it puts more strategy into the game. Makes you decide if you want to keep your pitcher in the game or decide to bat for him. I like it a lot more than the DH. Makes the game like it should be played. A pitcher is part of the team and should bat. My opinion only

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester