Video: “My name is Tony La Russa”

Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

I saw this once a few years ago, but man, it doesn’t get old. Via my friend Levi Stahl, who himself caught it this morning over at Viva El Birdos, below is the best game show segment ever.

My guess is that the real Tony La Russa told the other two how to fool the panel. And that he really wanted to switch the first guy out after the first five questions and replace him with Octavio Dotel.

1. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The man has always had the personality of a head of cabbage. Great manager, though.

• twd1165 - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM

This looks like a skit from Saturday Night Live. The guy on the right looks like Charles Nelson Reilly.

2. aaronmoreno - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM

TLR was the Texan with the fake mustache, right?

3. stlouis1baseball - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Outstanding! Quite ironic that he mentions the law degree will be helpful to fall back on as the Manager of a Baseball teams “isn’t very secure.” Something else to note…the video only lasts 8:20. With all the Lefty/Lefty…Righty/Righty matchups that has to be a record. Well done!

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’d love to see something written about Tony’s Animal Rescue Foundation. I thought he was just pure douche until I learned about this; he’s since won about 1 million brownie points with me, as a fellow animal lover.

• The Baseball Idiot - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Yeah, but he’s lost the second most animals of all time, so he can’t really be that good at it.

Fortunately, Noah, much like Connie Mack, seems to have the record locked up.

• woodenulykteneau - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Assuming he doesn’t run them over while drinking and driving, of course.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

He’s allegedly BFFs with Bruce Springsteen and Christan McBride according to Wikipedia. Unfortunately, that’s offset by his friendship with Bob Knight and appearing at a Glenn Beck rally (no matter how ignorant of Beck’s nature he claims to be).

• aceshigh11 - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I just cannot see him hanging out with “The Boss” Springsteen. Talk about mismatched personalities.

• fearlessleader - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

As a lifetime Cards fan, I have a complex baseball relationship with TLR. But a few years ago, when I was working as an animal-shelter administrator and coordinating a big auction fundraiser, I contacted La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) and asked if he’d be willing to donate anything to be auctioned.

Within days, I’d received a box in the mail with a handful of autographed ARF items (including a hat that I now own, having basically threatened all my colleagues against bidding on it).

A year later, I ran into Tony in a hotel lobby outside Petco Park, and seized the opportunity to thank him profusely for his generosity. He grew quiet and embarrassed, but gave me a big smile and a pat on the shoulder.

I understand how easy it is to dismiss TLR as a grouch and a jerk, but I tend to think he’s more of a misfit—an introverted, intellectual, socially awkward guy in a sport that doesn’t quit know what to do with personalities like that. For my part, even though he drives me to distraction with the micromanaging and the popping off at reporters and the effing Glenn Beck rallies, the pennants and the animal foundation are more than enough to have earned my lasting respect.

5. Bill - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Number two can’t possibly be right. He thinks that Abner Doubleday originated baseball.

But seriously, that was great.

6. fearlessleader - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

……doesn’t QUITE know. Sorry.

7. rambodiaz - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Really? Julio Cruz, #3?

8. aceshigh11 - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hey, look…it’s Dick Van Patten!

9. heynerdlinger - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM

60 night games!?!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6040)