Vote: Who will win the World Series?

Oct 19, 2011, 2:12 AM EDT

World series vote

By now we’re sure you’ve read Craig’s breakdown on the World Series matchup between the Rangers and Cardinals.

You’re caught up on all the news, such as the Cardinals’ roster additions, the possibility of Nelson Cruz moving higher in the batting order, and the Game 2 starters for both teams.

Now it’s your turn to decide which team will take home the glittering gold trophy.

Vote below, then argue with each other in the comments section. Just keep it civil and don’t make me sick Ozzie on you. He’s a little cranky.

1. miketreedy - Oct 19, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Here is my break down:
    Hitting – the Rangers line-up is a beat. In the ALDS it was Beltre. In the ALCS it was Cruz. In the WS it could be someone else. The batting order is the best in baseball. The Cardinals have 3 greats but rest of line up is on much lower level except maybe Freese.

SP – Pretty even. Carpenter may be the best overall SP but after that the Rangers have a small advantage overall. The Cardinals pitching could get killed by this line-up. They have never faced this type of hitting team.

RP – Cardinals are much improved in the bullpen but the Rangers have been great lately. Having Ogando is a big weapon. Which helps give them the advantage.

Overall – Rangers are a deeper team. They have great pinch hitters to serve in national league park. They also have a faster team that can help generate runs between big hits. Team defense is also an advantage for the Rangers.

Winner – both teams playing great baseball but Rangers have more weapons and seem hungrier to win this year. Last year they seemed a little happy just being in the series. The also have the advantage of not going against a great pitching team. I think the Rangers will win in 5 at home especially if they win game 1.

2. aaronzona2011 - Oct 19, 2011 at 4:34 AM

i got yankees in 6, they’re still playing right?

• yankeesfanlen - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Should be.

3. ditto65 - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Phillies in 4 – MARK MY WORDS!

4. paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Here is the thing I don’t get. Any knowledgeable person will admit that ANYTHING can happen in a short series (and best of 7 is short for the game of baseball)…then, those same people will express really strong opinions not only about who will win, but in how many games…and proceed to argue about it endless, even sighting small sample sizes during their arguments to explain away short-term term phenomena they believe to be unrepresentative of a player’s ability.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:41 AM

You know why I like you Paper……you are remarkably consistent across all lines of reasoning. I like that. I agree with you on this topic as well.

• paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Logic and opinion/interpretation that is consistent with the preponderance of available information are part of my job description…once you learn to use that approach for understanding, you can’t really apply it selectively….it’s just always there.

• spudchukar - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Sounds like a LaRussa mantra.

5. jucam1 - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Theres a World series being played?… Eh… Go Rangers….

6. Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Cards in 7. Mark my words!!!! ;)

• spudchukar - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM

The reverse psychology won’t work here J5. No prediction from me, only hopes. Still dreamin’ though by the way. I always kinda liked the Everley Brothers.

7. missouriman4ever - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@miketreedy

yes you evaluated starting pitching and hitting but what about managing? This is La Russas 6th world series he’s been in. The cards have been in the world series 3 times in the last 7 years I believe. This cardinals team is much better than the one that beat the tigers only a couple years ago. Plus they beat the Phillies in a 5 game series and won two games in Milwaukee. Don’t get me wrong, both these teams are extremely hot, but the cards pitching staff got through the Phillies lineup and scored runs on probably the best pitching staff baseball has seen in a very long time. These cardinals are for real.

And yes im rooting for the cardinals but id be willing to see them lose as long as it was a good series. It needs to go to 7 games regardless of the outcome. But 5 game winners in a world series isn’t good for baseball. And ill take whatever is best for baseball

8. theonlynolan - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Cardinals in 6. Carpenter wins 2 games and is the WS MVP.

• theonlynolan - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM

So far so good

9. hooks024 - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

This poll has a margin of error of plus or minus total irrelevance.

10. fouldwimmerlaik - Oct 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Tony LaRussa is an azz-nugget. That is the only reason I have any interest in the WS this year. I just want LaRussa to fail. Therefore, I will pay no attention to it because I hate when my only interest in something is to see an azz-nugget fail. So, I’ll check in on it in 3 weeks to see who won.lost.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Pretty sure the series will be over well before 3 weeks. Also, you could have just said ass nugget. Certainly a lot better than azz-nugget.

• fouldwimmerlaik - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Okay……ass nugget.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM

haha….I see what you did there. I like it.

11. spudchukar - Oct 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM

To all Ranger fans. Good Luck, and may the team that plays the best, win.

• paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Agreed. I hope the Cardinals win…but if they don’t….at least it will be to a team that has never won the WS before, and the first one for a franchise is always special. Good luck.

12. natsattack - Oct 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Cards in 7

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5006)