What should be THE LAST word on the beer and fried chicken thing

Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT

Fried chicken

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe writes what — if the universe is reasonable and just — should be the final word on the Red Sox’ beer and friend chicken scandal.  The upshot: this is no scandal and everyone should get a grip.

What makes it so persuasive is how he lays out what goes on in clubhouses and bullpens all over baseball and how anyone who makes a federal case out of it is being sensationalistic or obtuse or some combination of the two.

We’ve had great fun with this story. Because, man, what’s more fun than beer and chicken?  But anyone who is reading unprecedented disrespect or unprofessionalism into this affair — anyone who thinks that it, rather than a bunch of ill-timed poor performances was to blame for the Red Sox collapse — needs to get some perspective.

Nice job, Pete. Thanks for the reality check.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

And we didn’t know this already? Pete Abraham states what I have said all along. That beer and fried chicken doesn’t have an adverse affect on anyone except Fat Joe Blanton.

This will not be the “Last Word”. I suspect more articles will be written between now and Spring Training by the national media. How do I know this? Call it a gut feeling.

• bigleagues - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Abraham is right when he says that chicken and beer has somewhat absurdly been given center stage in The Collapse. Yet if it happened only once, it may have been a story for a day but then disappeared. It’s the fact that it went on for more than a season that gives it the legs that its had.

Is it the worst thing a professional baseball player can do? No, but it is indicative of entitlement and complacency. And the Poultry Posse will have a lot to prove next season – if they are all still on this team.

I agree with you Biceps . . . come Spring Training there will be a whole new round of “what are you doing differently” questions and stories about redemption, blah blah blah – and if Beckett and Lackey are both back then they will be peppered with questions . . . until the team starts winning and the rest of this will finally be forgotten . . . until that first losing streak, when all of the halfwits will begin dropping lines like “with performances like that one can only wonder if the Starting Pitchers are retiring to the clubhouse for Popeye’s and a Bud.”

2. halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just thought of something. If I were Popeye’s Chicken, I would pay through the teeth to get some of these Red Sox players to do a commercial spoofing this whole fiasco. Imagine the possibilities.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I like where your head is at Cepts, though, If I were Popeye’s I’d do it w/o the MLB’s consent (which they likely wouldn’t get) and have a fake team and fake -players that look similar to the BoSox. Then they could even more freely mock the series of clubhouse events. Cheaper and still would make the same point.

• natstowngreg - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’m confident the folks at Popeye’s (and their ad agency) are working on it as we blog.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Agreed, Greg. Hey, have you heard of the rumors that Jayson Werth is petitioning the Nats to sign Ryan Madson? What are your thoughts on this?

• natstowngreg - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Geez, think I got a thumbs down for agreeing with you. Is this thumbs down thing contagious?

Madson would be nice, but I don’t see it. The Nats have Clippard and Storen and Rizzo’s priorities are SP and CF. If he trades Storen or Clippard, that could change. .

3. El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Question: What’s more fun than beer and chicken?

Answer 1: beer and chicken and pie
    Answer 2: beer and buddha
    Answer 3: beer and chicken and buddha
    Answer 4: beer and chicken and pie and buddha
    Answer 5: women
    Answer 6: All of the above

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM

All of the above.

Tell me this, El Bravo. What is better in life? Drinking beer to excess and being unable to walk or taking a #2 in the bathroom?

Show your work.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

You really want me to show my work? Well okay then, but this video is meant for mature audiences only…http://www.youtube.com/elbravo-chugs-six-pack-while-taking-huge-dump.com/watch53613258

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Your link is bad, El Bravo. I tried to view it, but youtube says “page doesn’t exist”.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

That’s because I made it up. I’m a freestyler son, I spit hot fire off the top of my domepiece like my name is Dylan Dylan Dylan!!!!!

• cur68 - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM

El Bravo, like a stud….

• bigxrob - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Like a boss

• jwbiii - Oct 19, 2011 at 9:56 PM

What is best in life is too crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. Duh.

4. icanspeel - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I dunno about you, but all this talk about the Red Sox and Beer and Chicken made me really want to go out and pickup some beer and chicken.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM

No doubt. I was all set to run 5 miles before the World Series. Now I’m thinking I need beer and chicken wings before the World Series. That’s only a 3000 calorie swing. Just another reason to hate the Red Sox.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Hey, drenched, no problem. You can still eat all the friend chicken and drink all the beer you want. Just run it off tomorrow. Don’t deprive yourself of the good things in life because of the calorie worries.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I should run. Then eat beer & wings DURING the World Series. Then I’d break even.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Real men eat red meat. Chicken is for chicks. As far as Bud Lite is concerned, I would have more respect for them if it was Sam Adams.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

one word to blow up your whole thesis: pork mothaf@cka!!!!! sorry, two words.

• Graves - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Oh come on now, there is NOTHING wrong with fried chicken. If they were eating grilled, lemon-pepper chicken breasts or something…sure, sure…but come on…fried freakin’ chicken.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I am a Filet Mignon and Porterhouse steak guy myself. But, mixing in a little fried chicken is OK as well. Variety is a good thing. Lobster and crabs are good as well.

Lite beer is for wimps. I only drink real beer.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

El Bravo,

It’s interesting that you mention pork. That’s what I just made about an hour ago for dinner. I bought a full pork loin, cut it up into cutlets, pounded it out, and breaded it with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and fried it in a pan. That’s what I am having tonight. Breaded pork chops with mash potatoes and mixed vegetables. Good eating.

• sportsdrenched.com - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

My grill doesn’t work unless I have a beer in my hand….even in the winter.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’m hungry.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Same here, drenched. I will cook on my gas grill even in the snow and cold weather. That’s what they made winter coats. And it’s always with a cold beer in my hand. God, these are the great things in life, aren’t they?

• cur68 - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I hate you guys. I’m on a freakin’ DIET over here gentlemen! Awww, screw it, I’m going out for beer, chicken wings and baseball. When next you hear from me I shall be fatter and possibly drunker. Game on!

5. Kyle - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

A very clear and concise take on the whole thing.

• El Bravo - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM

A very clear and concise comment about the clear and concise article, sir.

6. 18thstreet - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

He needs to talk to Nick Cafardo at his own paper about this.

7. kyleortonsarm - Oct 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM

“beer and friend chicken scandal”
    “friend chicken scandal”
    “friend chicken”
    “friend”
    wat

8. bennoj - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM

My first and last thoughts on the whole thing….

1. I’m amazed that a “scandal” involving fried chicken and lite beer involves baseball players and not supermodels with bulemia.

2. I always thought Bud Lite referred to the Commissioner of Baseball. Why were they drinking him in the clubhouse/dugout/wherever….?

3. If they were in fact drinking the Commissioner of Baseball, does that mean we get a new one sooner? Will he be frosty cold like the old one?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Great post! You are right on with all points. All things Darth Selig I despise.

9. natstowngreg - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Now Craig, you know this won’t be the last post on the subject. And for God’s sake, can’t you get a different fried chicken picture?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM

In case you missed my comment, see above with Ryan Madson rumor.

• natstowngreg - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

responded to above

10. aceshigh11 - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM

“Jon Lackey…WHAT is BEST in LIFE?”

“To raise your blood alcohol level, to see six runs driven in before the fourth inning, and to hear the lamentation of Dan Shaughnessy!”

11. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, it’s not unprofessional because everybody does it. LOL. Reminds me of when I was 9 years old and I wanted to jump off the roof of my house because Bobby down the street did it. What did mom always say…”If Bobby jumped off the Walt Whitman Bridge, would you want to do it?” At 9, I always said yes. Then something amazing happened…I grew the Christ up.

I don’t know what’s more pathetic…that these guys are so unprofessional, or that this writer makes it sound OK because “Everybody does it, or much worse”.

12. offseasonblues - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Pete Abe says “It’ll take you five minutes on Google to find out what Mickey Mantle was up to in the clubhouse on days he didn’t play.”.

Methinks Mickey is rolling over in his grave thinking how great it would have been to have the phrase “intestinal turmoil” available for those days when getting off the bench was problematic.

Except that I saw him get off the bench on many occasions and the opposing pitcher paid a heavy price for that turmoil.

It’s not how you play, it’s how you play between the lines.

13. bigleagues - Oct 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

It took long enough for someone to write this story, but Abraham reports that there are just 12 teams remaining in MLB that allow beer to served in the clubhouse. He names some of the teams and why they have put that policy into force.

Also today’s Boston.com/Globe includes this graphic breaking down exactly which teams do and don’t allow beer:

And finally a resolution on Theo is expected as soon as tomorrow AND the Padres have interest in Lackey!

14. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Oct 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Beer in the clubhouse. It just shows what whimps the modern day ball players are. In the 1926 WS the Cardinals had to get Glover Cleveland Alexander out of a bar to strike out Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded to save the game. BTW, the series end on a CS by Babe Ruth.

Three legends off to Cooperstown