Oct 19, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the Rangers-Cardinals series tonight:
TEXAS RANGERS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS 1. Ian Kinsler, 2B 1. Rafael Furcal, SS 2. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Jon Jay, CF 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Michael Young, 1B 4. Matt Holliday, LF 5. Adrian Beltre, 3B 5. Lance Berkman, RF 6. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. David Freese, 3B 7. Mike Napoli, C 7. Yadier Molina, C 8. David Murphy, LF 8. Nick Punto, 2B SP C.J. Wilson, LHP SP Chris Carpenter, RHP
Ron Washington talked about possibly moving Nelson Cruz up in the batting order after the right fielder slugged six homers in the ALCS and sure enough Cruz is hitting sixth tonight rather than his usual seventh. Mike Napoli moves down to accommodate Cruz, which means the catcher’s team-high 1.046 OPS will be in the No. 7 spot. Without the designated hitter to work with Washington has benched Mitch Moreland and has Michael Young at first base.
St. Louis’ lineup is quite different than the last time they faced a left-hander (Randy Wolf in Game 4 of the NLCS). Jon Jay was moved to the bottom of the lineup in that game, but tonight he remains in the No. 2 spot. And manager Tony La Russa is going with Nick Punto rather than Ryan Theriot (or a now healthy Skip Schumaker) at second base. Lance Berkman has typically been much worse versus lefties, but he’s starting and batting fifth while Allen Craig comes off the bench.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)