World Series Game 1 Live Chat: Rangers vs. Cardinals

Oct 19, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT

Fans are shown as they enter Busch Stadium before the start of play between the Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis Reuters

Game 1 of the World Series between the Rangers and Cardinals is set to get underway this evening just after 8:00 p.m. ET in St. Louis. Busch Stadium should be rocking, despite the cold and rain.

We’ll be chatting it up here at HardballTalk from the player introductions through the final pitch. Stop by, hang out, and maybe get in on the conversation.

It’ll be Rangers left-hander C.J. Wilson against Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter. For tonight’s Game 1 starting lineups, look here.

1. Drew Silva - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Having some issues. We should be up and running in a couple minutes.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:57 PM

The Bicepts is here, Drew. I will be here in the blog format. If you are doing a live blog, I will not be involved because I know you guys screen and post the comments that you want to. It’s no shot on you or your fellow blogging peers. It’s just I don’t want to waste typing my thoughts to not be posted. No offense.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I meant live chat, not live blog. These phrases get confusing after a few beers.

2. okwhitefalcon - Oct 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM

We’ll know quick if Carp’s got it, the hammer will be working.

If not, it could be BP for the Rangers early.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Please, the Rangers will cower like scared school children when Carpenter icily glares at the plate.

3. cur68 - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Hola; Mybeer and wing night delayed for a bit so I shall inflict myself on your live chat, Drew, till the boys get their act together to get over to my place.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Oh, so real people are better than us? Thanks Cur. Is it because they are Canadians?

4. jayswin93 - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Texas hitters will dominate even though Carpenter is on the bump.

5. okwhitefalcon - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Carp doesn’t look like he has command early, not good.

6. paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I would just like to thank Andrus for so carefully stepping around the prone Carpenter. Muchisimas gracias, El mas estimado Senor Andrus.

7. halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM

My guess is that Carpenter will dominate this lineup like he did against the Phillies. Carpenter is an NL pitcher, not an AL pitcher. NL = superior pitching.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Hasn’t thrown 1 12-6 yet I don’t think, that’s what got the Phils

• offseasonblues - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM

because, of course, NL = inferior hitting. Or was that an intentional set up?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:31 PM

You think that the AL has the superior pitching? Really? Let’s see.

Halladay
        Lee
        Lincecum
        Johnson
        Hamels
        Carpenter
        Hudson
        Garcia

Etc. etc. I made my point.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Yeah,
        Sabathia
        Verlander
        Beckett
        Hernandez
        Weaver
        Haren

They all suck.

8. paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I don’t know if I would call the top of the7th LaRussa out-managing Washington…but LaRussa made a move to Scrabble and Washington did the worst thing he could have….he sent up his worst 2 bench bats because they were rightys. Skill trumps handedness….it’s really not that hard.

9. stlducks - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Great game all around

10. halladaysbiceps - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals in game 1. Like I stated, it would be a matchup of CJ Wilson vs. Chris Carpenter and that is what it was.

As a NL fan, go St. Louis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. paperlions - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Here is all I learned tonight:

The Rangers will not win the WS in 4 games….that’s pretty much it.

Great game.

12. Old Gator - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Terriffic nail biter for a first game. Hope the rest of the series lives up to this one. Very tonic after such dull league championship series.

13. umrguy42 - Oct 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Obligatory article about strange calls in relation to Beltre’s groundout in the 9th in 3… 2… 1…

Seriously, though, not sure if it was the right or wrong call, but definitely on the unusual side.

14. cur68 - Oct 20, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Saw the game on a big screen at my local. Enjoyed a few beers and some fried chicken wings. Felt like an MLB pitcher for the first time ever. Even flirted with my waitress (confession; nerd flirted. I described how the fibonacci sequence applied to flower petals. I think she was impressed.) Watched the game but couldn’t hear McCarver & Buck. My joy was endless; beer, wings, baseball, a pretty girl to dazzle with my nerdiness and no Buck. Woooo!

One hell of a game. The Rangers faced the best pitcher the Cards had to offer. Actually put runs into him. The Cards had to be nearly perfect to get past the Rangers and the Rangers needed to be maybe 1 or 2 % better tonight.

Note to Ron Washington; If you let Octavio Dotel beat you I will disown you as a fan forever. You’ve been told.
    What a great game.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM

“Enjoyed a few beers and some fried chicken wings. Felt like an MLB pitcher for the first time ever.”

I know Craig said no more beer and chicken jokes but this one should be the comment of the day, in my opinion.

I assume you weren’t drinking Bud Light, cur? Labatt Blue or a Molson Dry, perhaps?

• cur68 - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Maple Cream Ale from Granville Island, in Vancouver. Dark as the heart of Africa, sweet as a stolen kiss, and so yummy I think I had 4 and then the bar ran out when some Cardinal fan bought the house a round. Bud light is best used as toilet cleaner.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2804)