Oct 19, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
It’s been long suspected that Japan’s best pitcher — Yu Darvish — would be posted by his NPB team this winter, thereby allowing Major League teams to bid on him. Kyodo News in Japan has now confirmed through several sources that, yes, Darvish will formally ask for this after the postseason.
There will obviously be a lot of interest in Darvish, with the Blue Jays, Rangers and Yankees all having been reported to be considering a run at him, and no doubt many other teams will join in the fray. How could they not when he has posted a 18-6 record in 28 starts with an ERA of 1.44 while striking out 276 batters in 232 innings? Yes, there have been many busts among Japanese pitchers coming stateside, but Darvish seems like a cut above.
Meanwhile, Joel Sherman reports that people inside the Yankees organization or kinda bad-mouthing C.J. Wilson. between that and the Darvish news, Wilson’s agent is probably gettin’ really mad today.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)