Oct 20, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that “significant progress has been made” in negotiations between the Cubs and Red Sox over compensation to be paid in exchange for the Sox letting Theo Epstein out of his contract to join the Cubs. Kaplan says that a deal could be done as soon as today and that, pending MLB approval, an announcement could come tomorrow.
There is a lot of good information there too about (a) the dynamic of the compensation talks, which focus mostly on a disagreement over the value in the Cubs’ minor league system; and (b) insight into what Tom Ricketts is looking to do with the organization overall. Specifically, Kaplan spoke with a guy who was interviewed for the job prior to the club turning to Epstein, and that guy is convinced that Ricketts is going to fix and build the organization properly as opposed to looking for quick fixes.
Exciting times to be a Cubs fan.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (133)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (132)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)