Oct 20, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that “significant progress has been made” in negotiations between the Cubs and Red Sox over compensation to be paid in exchange for the Sox letting Theo Epstein out of his contract to join the Cubs. Kaplan says that a deal could be done as soon as today and that, pending MLB approval, an announcement could come tomorrow.
There is a lot of good information there too about (a) the dynamic of the compensation talks, which focus mostly on a disagreement over the value in the Cubs’ minor league system; and (b) insight into what Tom Ricketts is looking to do with the organization overall. Specifically, Kaplan spoke with a guy who was interviewed for the job prior to the club turning to Epstein, and that guy is convinced that Ricketts is going to fix and build the organization properly as opposed to looking for quick fixes.
Exciting times to be a Cubs fan.
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 1
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)