Oct 20, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that “significant progress has been made” in negotiations between the Cubs and Red Sox over compensation to be paid in exchange for the Sox letting Theo Epstein out of his contract to join the Cubs. Kaplan says that a deal could be done as soon as today and that, pending MLB approval, an announcement could come tomorrow.
There is a lot of good information there too about (a) the dynamic of the compensation talks, which focus mostly on a disagreement over the value in the Cubs’ minor league system; and (b) insight into what Tom Ricketts is looking to do with the organization overall. Specifically, Kaplan spoke with a guy who was interviewed for the job prior to the club turning to Epstein, and that guy is convinced that Ricketts is going to fix and build the organization properly as opposed to looking for quick fixes.
Exciting times to be a Cubs fan.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 5
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 127
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)