Oct 20, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Right around this time last fall Curt Young resigned as A’s pitching coach to take the same job with the Red Sox, but a year later Young may be returning to Oakland.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Young “is expected to be reeled back to the Bay Area by the end of the month” because he’s friends with Oakland manager Bob Melvin and “represents the A’s top target at the moment.”
For now Young has a year remaining on his Red Sox contract, but the starting rotation’s September collapse followed by Terry Francona’s departure has led to some speculation that Young could be the next member of the coaching staff to go.
Young was the A’s pitching coach for seven seasons before joining the Red Sox and his replacement in Oakland, Ron Romanick, was fired shortly after the season ended.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)