Oct 20, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
The beer drinkers in Boston? Amateurs. Pikers. For real beer drinking, you gotta read this New York Daily News story about the Yankees, based on reports from “insiders”:
According to one of the insiders, Jason Giambi and Roger Clemens would routinely drink beer on the dugout bench when they played for the Yankees, passing back and forth what Giambi called his “protein shake,” code for a cup of beer, the source said. And they weren’t the only ones who partook. “Rally beers are big in the clubhouse,” one insider said. “Guys would drink them all the time, on the bench, in the clubhouse, in the training room. It’s common.”
But you gotta take all of that with a grain of hops, because the next anecdote quoted from this source — about Jose Canseco hitting three homers on beer-power while with the Yankees — was debunked by ESPN’s David Schoenfield earlier today.
My guess: the story is largely true — ballplayers like beer and will drink it whenever — even if the details are exaggerated for dramatic effect. Which makes it like most Daily News stories, most likely.
Either way, I continue to not be shocked by any of the allegations that come out of Boston. And continue to not think any of them are that big a deal.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 8
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)