Oct 20, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
This morning Jason Collette of DRaysBay reported that Rays general manager Andrew Friedman dined Tuesday night with Angels owner Arte Moreno and president John Carpino, and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms the story.
Rosenthal adds that Friedman is the Angels’ top choice to replace Tony Reagins as general manager, although Friedman’s level of interest in the job is unclear.
Several other GM candidates have been linked to the Angels, including Kim Ng, Rick Hahn, Jerry Dipoto, and Damon Oppenheimer, but wooing Friedman away from the Rays–presumably with the promise of total control and three times as much payroll to work with–would be quite a coup for the Angels.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)