Oct 20, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
This morning Jason Collette of DRaysBay reported that Rays general manager Andrew Friedman dined Tuesday night with Angels owner Arte Moreno and president John Carpino, and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms the story.
Rosenthal adds that Friedman is the Angels’ top choice to replace Tony Reagins as general manager, although Friedman’s level of interest in the job is unclear.
Several other GM candidates have been linked to the Angels, including Kim Ng, Rick Hahn, Jerry Dipoto, and Damon Oppenheimer, but wooing Friedman away from the Rays–presumably with the promise of total control and three times as much payroll to work with–would be quite a coup for the Angels.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)