Oct 20, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
This morning Jason Collette of DRaysBay reported that Rays general manager Andrew Friedman dined Tuesday night with Angels owner Arte Moreno and president John Carpino, and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com confirms the story.
Rosenthal adds that Friedman is the Angels’ top choice to replace Tony Reagins as general manager, although Friedman’s level of interest in the job is unclear.
Several other GM candidates have been linked to the Angels, including Kim Ng, Rick Hahn, Jerry Dipoto, and Damon Oppenheimer, but wooing Friedman away from the Rays–presumably with the promise of total control and three times as much payroll to work with–would be quite a coup for the Angels.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 15
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)