Is Rays’ GM Andrew Friedman Anaheim-bound?

Oct 20, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

Andrew Friedman Reuters Reuters

I’m angry at DRays Bay. Oh, they’re a fine blog and in this case they have a neat little news/gossip item that could be pretty significant, so that’s all good. No, I’m mad that they took the “my best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this girl who’s going out with the guy who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious” joke that I was gonna totally use here.

Oh well, it’s a long winter so I’ll have more chances.

Anyway, this seems stronger than “Theo Epstein spotted at Starbucks”:

On Tuesday night, one of our readers was at a restaurant in downtown St. Petersburg when he saw Andrew Friedman dining with Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim team owner Arte Moreno and another individual he later identified as [Angels] team president John Carpino … We do not know the nature of the conversation between Moreno and Friedman, only that they were seen dining together in St. Petersburg and talked for over an hour and a half. However, the timing does line up well with the Angels’ current search for a General Manager.

I was gonna say “well, maybe those two just happened to be in St. Pete and wanted to have dinner.”  But I’ve been to St. Pete a bunch of times and I’d have a hard time envisioning a reason why anyone would want to go there just for giggles. Maybe Arte Moreno’s mileage would vary on that, however.

1. Alex K - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Have they asked the Rays to interview Friedman?

• indaburg - Oct 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Friedman is not under contract. The Rays don’t have to be asked for permission to interview him. Friedman and Sternberg had a gentlemen’s agreement, that is all.

2. stinkfist5 - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The freaking O’s should be all over this guy…

• Panda Claus - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

As an O’s fan this guy has been my target as soon as MacPhail decided to leave. I’d take him over Dipoto, LaCava or anyone else (unless Gillick wanted to return–not likely).

His contract expires at the end of this month. Unless he’s been quietly resigned and the Rays are just waiting until after the Series is over to announce that.

• Alex K - Oct 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM

His contract is done? Then by all means he should come live in Chicago.

3. b7p19 - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I heard Theo wanted him to serve as his 3rd in charge.

4. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM

How many people can recognize Andrew Freidman and Arte Merano on the street?

• cur68 - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I know, I know! There moms, so that’s at least 2.

• cur68 - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:51 AM

EDIT: “their” not “there”. *Sigh* 2nd comment of the day and already with the spelling and grammar. Maple Cream Ale a beguiling mistress but the next day leaves you a bit fuzzy with the keyboard…

• loganjpat - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Any real fan could probably identify them. I know I could…

• bigleagues - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Arte Moreno is a pretty distinctive looking guy. If you are a Rays fan you must know what Friedman looks like. And if you are a baseball fan (any level above casual) you must have seen Moreno once of twice . . .

• clydeserra - Oct 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM

especially since, as the movies and TV tells me, all representatives of a baseball team wear shirts like that whenever they are in public.

5. jackkoho - Oct 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Draysbay is a rays-only blog at sbnation. I find it acceptable to post something like this. Hardballtalk is a national blog covering all of mlb. Once hbtalk reposts it, the rumor mill starts churning. Food for thought.

• clydeserra - Oct 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

a blog is a blog is a blog.

If it were on Shysterball or whatever the HBT thing was called, would you complain?

• jackkoho - Oct 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I just think its a tad hypocritical to argue about how angry he is for them about posting it while reposting the news in the same breath.

6. bigleagues - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM

The courtship of Andy Friedman is bound to happen at some point, so why not now?

You would think Moreno is looking for an edge and Friedman would/could be it. It would certainly be interesting to see how much Sternberg would attempt to extract from Moreno if this progresses into something serious.

• buddaley - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I am not sure there could be any compensation. As I understand it, Friedman does not have a contract binding him to the team for a specified amount of time. Apparently it is simply a handshake agreement.

• bigleagues - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM

HOLY CRAP! It appears that you very correct!

I can’t believe I wasn’t aware of that.

• jehzsa - Oct 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Andrew Friedman deserves every single millions of pennies that he can obtain. The guy is that good.

As a Rays fan (yes, one of the few) I will have mixed feelings about his departure. But when you gotta go, you gotta go.

7. flpunx - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM

St. Pete is a wonderful city with a laundry list of reasons to visit. Boo to you, Mr. Calcaterra.

• indaburg - Oct 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Anyfrom from Columbus, Ohio insulting any city is pretty funny.

• indaburg - Oct 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Sigh… anyONE from Columbus, Ohio insulting any city is pretty funny.

8. jasoncollette - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Sorry, Craig. When the tip was sent to us, it was the first thing that came to mind. We did quite a bit of legwork afterwards to verify the source & story before running this story this morning.

Given the financial mess that Moreno/Reagins got into, having a fiscally sound mind like Friedman there to be a filter between Moreno’s passions and his wallet would be a very good thing.

• bigleagues - Oct 20, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Very nice work. It would be a pleasure to see Friedman leave the division and a terror to see him operate with far more liquid capital backing him.

9. amaninwhite - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Maybe this will be the final scene in the Moneyball sequel called “The Extra 2%: How The LA Angels Refused To Pay It To Land A Top Flight GM And Decided To Sign Ed Wade For 5 Years Instead”.

10. SmackSaw - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM

It’s not serious unless Scioscia was there.

11. paperlions - Oct 20, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Well….I guess some people just aren’t interested in doing everything 2% better…..good ridance, I say.

12. Kyle - Oct 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM

As a Mariners fan, I would just like to say “OH GOD! OH GOD NO!!!”

• indaburg - Oct 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM

As a Rays’ fan, I concur with your statement.

• clydeserra - Oct 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Any AL fan, really. (none eastern division category)

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4486)