Oct 20, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Jerry Dipoto of the Diamondbacks and Tony LaCava of the Blue Jays are the two general manager candidates who’ve already interviewed with the Orioles and a third candidate, Dan Jennings, likely won’t be allowed to interview because the Marlins blocked the request.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun believes Dipoto is the current favorite to land the job, although for now that seems more based in speculation and connecting the dots than any inside information.
Dipoto is currently Arizona’s senior vice president of scouting and player development and previously served as the Diamondbacks’ interim GM last year, pulling the trigger on trades that sent Dan Haren to the Angels and Edwin Jackson to the White Sox. Before that the 43-year-old spent eight seasons in the majors as a reliever for the Indians, Mets, and Rockies.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)