Oct 20, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
San Diego’s front office is in a state of flux amid rumors that Theo Epstein could take various Padres staffers with him to the Cubs, but in the meantime they’re apparently talking about taking John Lackey off the Red Sox’s hands.
Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Padres “have internally discussed the possibility” of trading for Lackey if the Red Sox “agree to eat most of Lackey’s contract.”
Prior to becoming the Padres’ manager Bud Black was the Angels’ pitching coach and worked with Lackey, so that connection seems to be fueling reunion speculation. And from Lackey’s point of view switching from the AL to the NL and from Fenway Park to pitcher-friendly Petco Park would make getting his career back on track much easier.
What’s left on his contract will be a huge hurdle, however, as Lackey is still owed $15.25 million in each of the next three seasons for a total commitment of $45.75 million to a 33-year-old with a 5.26 ERA in 61 starts since the beginning of last season. If the Red Sox are interested in eating, say, two-thirds of that money while getting only a low-level prospect in return it could make some sense for the Padres.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)