Oct 20, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
San Diego’s front office is in a state of flux amid rumors that Theo Epstein could take various Padres staffers with him to the Cubs, but in the meantime they’re apparently talking about taking John Lackey off the Red Sox’s hands.
Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Padres “have internally discussed the possibility” of trading for Lackey if the Red Sox “agree to eat most of Lackey’s contract.”
Prior to becoming the Padres’ manager Bud Black was the Angels’ pitching coach and worked with Lackey, so that connection seems to be fueling reunion speculation. And from Lackey’s point of view switching from the AL to the NL and from Fenway Park to pitcher-friendly Petco Park would make getting his career back on track much easier.
What’s left on his contract will be a huge hurdle, however, as Lackey is still owed $15.25 million in each of the next three seasons for a total commitment of $45.75 million to a 33-year-old with a 5.26 ERA in 61 starts since the beginning of last season. If the Red Sox are interested in eating, say, two-thirds of that money while getting only a low-level prospect in return it could make some sense for the Padres.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)