Oct 20, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
Remember back in July how we wrote about the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?
Well, today Don Babwin of the Associated Press has a report about them, talking about all of that stuff, plus more, plus where it went wrong for the Fielders and for independent ball in general:
The players discovered the problem out on a road when team-issued debit cards suddenly didn’t work. “Guys were skipping meals (and) they’d wait till they got to the clubhouse and eat the peanut butter and jelly,” said Qumar Zaman, the announcer who told listeners that he was quitting because the team didn’t pay him. The players’ mothers were calling to complain.
Ugly but fascinating stuff.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)