Oct 20, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
Remember back in July how we wrote about the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?
Well, today Don Babwin of the Associated Press has a report about them, talking about all of that stuff, plus more, plus where it went wrong for the Fielders and for independent ball in general:
The players discovered the problem out on a road when team-issued debit cards suddenly didn’t work. “Guys were skipping meals (and) they’d wait till they got to the clubhouse and eat the peanut butter and jelly,” said Qumar Zaman, the announcer who told listeners that he was quitting because the team didn’t pay him. The players’ mothers were calling to complain.
Ugly but fascinating stuff.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)