Oct 20, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
Remember back in July how we wrote about the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?
Well, today Don Babwin of the Associated Press has a report about them, talking about all of that stuff, plus more, plus where it went wrong for the Fielders and for independent ball in general:
The players discovered the problem out on a road when team-issued debit cards suddenly didn’t work. ”Guys were skipping meals (and) they’d wait till they got to the clubhouse and eat the peanut butter and jelly,” said Qumar Zaman, the announcer who told listeners that he was quitting because the team didn’t pay him. The players’ mothers were calling to complain.
Ugly but fascinating stuff.
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1