Oct 20, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
Remember back in July how we wrote about the Lake County Fielders? That independent team that had the announcer quite on the air after ripping the organization a new one? And had a player boycott when the team didn’t pay them, leading to crazy stuff like Jose Canseco pitching?
Well, today Don Babwin of the Associated Press has a report about them, talking about all of that stuff, plus more, plus where it went wrong for the Fielders and for independent ball in general:
The players discovered the problem out on a road when team-issued debit cards suddenly didn’t work. ”Guys were skipping meals (and) they’d wait till they got to the clubhouse and eat the peanut butter and jelly,” said Qumar Zaman, the announcer who told listeners that he was quitting because the team didn’t pay him. The players’ mothers were calling to complain.
Ugly but fascinating stuff.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)