Oct 20, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, not everything is done. Edes just updated his tweet:
To clarify: Hoyer as Cubs GM, Byrnes as Padres GM is done. Epstein to Chi not yet resolved per compensation. Review of medicals remains
So, yeah, not quite yet the big news we expect.
3:25 PM: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston just tweeted that the deal is done: Theo Epstein is President of the Cubs, Jed Hoyer moves from the GM chair in San Diego to Chicago, and Padres vice president Josh Byrnes will replace Hoyer as GM with the Padres.
So, with Hoyer and Epstein coworkers once again like they were back in Boston during the good old days, how long before they truly get the band back together and hire Terry Francona? And sign Mark Bellhorn for that matter?
OK, maybe not. But whatever else happens, the Chicago Cubs are about to embark on a bold new era. An executive structure with stellar baseball bona fides. An owner who, according to CSNChicago.com’s report yesterday, seems committed to building the franchise from the farm up and plans to spare no expense to do it.
The Cubs have long been a sleeping giant in the National League. The giant, it stirs.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL