Oct 21, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Greg Walker stepped down as the White Sox’s hitting coach immediately after the season and it didn’t take him long to find a new gig, with Bob Nightengale of USA Today reporting that Walker has agreed to become the Braves’ new hitting coach.
Walker also interviewed for the Padres’ job, but given how frequently San Diego has cycled through hitting coaches since moving into Petco Park he’s probably better off in Atlanta.
Walker generally has a solid reputation among players and media members, but the White Sox finished 10th or worse among AL teams in scoring three times in the past five seasons. Atlanta fired hitting coach Larry Parrish last month after finishing 10th among NL teams in scoring this season.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)