Oct 21, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Greg Walker stepped down as the White Sox’s hitting coach immediately after the season and it didn’t take him long to find a new gig, with Bob Nightengale of USA Today reporting that Walker has agreed to become the Braves’ new hitting coach.
Walker also interviewed for the Padres’ job, but given how frequently San Diego has cycled through hitting coaches since moving into Petco Park he’s probably better off in Atlanta.
Walker generally has a solid reputation among players and media members, but the White Sox finished 10th or worse among AL teams in scoring three times in the past five seasons. Atlanta fired hitting coach Larry Parrish last month after finishing 10th among NL teams in scoring this season.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45